camshaft bearing wear on valve cover

Username

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Recently bought a 1980 xs650 that has been parked since the 90's.
Pulled the top end apart and found scratches on the surfaces of wear the cam bearings sit on the valve cover and rocker box. Is there any repair that can be done to fix this. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you

Here's the photos of what I'm talking about

Attachments

• IMG_2058.jpeg
    IMG_2058.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2059.jpeg
    IMG_2059.jpeg
    365.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2060.jpeg
    IMG_2060.jpeg
    353.3 KB · Views: 41
How much wear is there in the bearing location bore? I might get laughed at for suggesting this. But I have had excellent results with Loctite Bearing Fit. Absolutely essential all traces of oil are moved before using it, but it works well. Whether it’s a viable repair for this will depend on how worn the bore is.

Edited to add. Some of those rocker arms aren't looking too clever.

How much wear is there in the bearing location bore? I might get laughed at for suggesting this. But I have had excellent results with Loctite Bearing Fit. Absolutely essential all traces of oil are moved before using it, but it works well. Whether it’s a viable repair for this will depend on how worn the bore is.

Edited to add. Some of those rocker arms aren

Edited to add. Some of those rocker arms aren't looking too clever.
What is the bearing location bore? Like where the bearing fits into the cam?

That cam has spun it's bearings. Means they prolly locked up most likely due to lack of lubrication. I'd call the head and rocker box dead.
And like was said above... your rockers are toast.... badly galled. You didn't supply a pic of the cam, but I'm bettin' it's shot too. Have a good look at the oil pump.

That cam has spun it's bearings. Means they prolly locked up most likely due to lack of lubrication. I'd call the head and rocker box dead.
And like was said above... your rockers are toast.... badly galled. You didn't supply a pic of the cam, but I'm bettin' it's shot too. Have a good look at the oil pump.
The cam is actually in spec and doesn't have much wear on it I'll send a photo of it later today.

Also the rockers are not badly galled they are actually smooth. They look much worse in the photo. I ran a flat head over the surfaces of the rocker arms and they didn't drag on any thing

Also the rockers are not badly galled they are actually smooth. They look much worse in the photo. I ran a flat head over the surfaces of the rocker arms and they didn't drag on any thing

Sorry, no. That pic shows two badly galled rockers. They're supposed to look almost like a mirror. Those are shot.

1715016127256.png

Yes the picture shows it clearly. Whether a fix like Loctite Bearing Fit is viable or not depends on the diameter of the bearing location. That's unknown until you measure it.
I've never used this product. Your saying put the loctite around the outsides or the bearing when installing the top and bottom cases?

I've never used this product. Your saying put the loctite around the outsides or the bearing when installing the top and bottom cases?
Pretty much, yes. But whether it works depends on two things. First, the wear is not so much that the product cannot fill the gap. Second, total freedom from oil, grease or dirt.

Whether it has been done before on an XS650 engine, I do not know. I do have good experience of the product.

In my opinion, if the rocker box bearing location is worn there's really two choices - Get a better one or fix it with Loctite Bearing Fit.

Short comments
I have had Cam bearings go bad ..and rattling .60 000 --70 000 Km range .I replace them whenever in there
Yes it looks as it has spun there
Yes the rocker is past best before

But to think out loud with fresh bearings there should not be so big tendency to spin so I Give it a fair chance stay in place
With the above mentioned chemicals

Rockers aeehh ..hhh they are past best before .And Should need replacement Probably hardened and some of that is gone
say 3 -4 on a scale to 10.
But I suppose some Miles is possible
What is on the Odometer ?

Pretty much, yes. But whether it works depends on two things. First, the wear is not so much that the product cannot fill the gap. Second, total freedom from oil, grease or dirt.

Whether it has been done before on an XS650 engine, I do not know. I do have good experience of the product.

In my opinion, if the rocker box bearing location is worn there's really two choices - Get a better one or fix it with Loctite Bearing Fit.
Loctite 620 max temp is 450f
Max gap fill is 38mm so I'd need to re assemble and check with a feeler gauge. Or buy a new top end. Not what I wanted to see when I pulled the motor apart.

Short comments
I have had Cam bearings go bad ..and rattling .60 000 --70 000 Km range .I replace them whenever in there
Yes it looks as it has spun there
Yes the rocker is past best before

But to think out loud with fresh bearings there should not be so big tendency to spin so I Give it a fair chance stay in place
With the above mentioned chemicals

Rockers aeehh ..hhh they are past best before .And Should need replacement Probably hardened and some of that is gone
say 3 -4 on a scale to 10.
But I suppose some Miles is possible
What is on the Odometer ?
Thank you. It's says 20,000 miles

Loctite 620 max temp is 450f
Max gap fill is 38mm so I'd need to re assemble and check with a feeler gauge. Or buy a new top end. Not what I wanted to see when I pulled the motor apart.
Good luck. Nothing to lose? Done properly, I believe you have a good chance of a successful fix.

Back