1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone ID these hubs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by koyuga, Jan 12, 2020.

1. koyuga

koyuga XS650 Enthusiast

Bought these for a 650.
    Have a yamaha brand on the rear hub.

Attached Files:

2. DogBunny

DogBunny Motorcychologist Top Contributor

Does the front hub take a 17mm axle? Then it is a 1973-1983 XS650 (with early chrome cover) or a 1973-1974 TX750. (Hub is the same.)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  3. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Never seen a rear hub like that. ???

4. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

That could be a Yamaha rear hub, but somebody's been in it. Note the bolt "keeper" in the wrong place... and, what, 42 teeth? And that funky arrangement with the ring nut, instead of the plain dust cover, and what looks like some kind of lock washer? Curious.... :umm: Maybe it came off a dirt bike?

5. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Rear hub is a cush hub from a 75 TX 500 B, I think. Front hub is probably a match to it.
    There is a thread here that talks about dismantling the cush hub. I am told they fit on XS650 with a spacer under sprocket.

gggGary and 59Tebo like this.
  6. koyuga

koyuga XS650 Enthusiast

Thx all replies

7. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Here's a dimensioned XS650 front hub, there are a couple of Yamaha hubs that LOOK the same but are different widths. Can make for serious fitment issues.
    front hub dimensioned.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  8. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Yes, the rear appears to be from a TX/XS500. If the front is too, it will be too narrow. As mentioned, the rear can be adapted by making some spacers. The sprocket that came on it can be used for this. It's too big to be run on a 650 anyway. Axle size and sprocket bolt pattern match the 650 so no issues there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    arcticXS, 59Tebo and lakeview like this.
  9. arcticXS

arcticXS XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Looks like that 500 hub may be a great option for building a spoked wheel! Cush drive definitely cannot hurt, especially on a big bore/ hopped up XS.
    Funny though, that there seems to be more cushion against engine braking/downshifting than the other way around. My RD350 has equal size rubbers on both sides.

10. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

It makes me wonder, could two halves of Xs650 rear hubs be welded together to make a disc brake spoked rear wheel, using stock-sized spokes for the 18"/16" rim? :umm: It may or may not require spacers, but it would have the same size bearings on both sides....

11. koyuga

koyuga XS650 Enthusiast

Thx everyone.
    Cheers