can anyone identify this Strange piece of steel ?

wymondham1979

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys after a re torque the leaks have persisted and as she is a little noisy for about 5/10 seconds until the bike warms up that seems from the info on the forum to indicate possibly a flopping cam guide
I drained the sum in preparation for a engine strip to replace the gaskets and have a thorough check over an I noticed a piece of steel stuck to the new sump filter magnet !!

I know this is probably a ridicules question as its not a lot to go on but can anyone hazard a guess as to were its come from ?
I replaced the oil 200miles ago new filters and the bikes actually running great apart from the leaks at the head and jug LOL
many thanks

Attachments

• DSC00136.jpg
    DSC00136.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC00138.jpg
    DSC00138.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC00141.jpg
    DSC00141.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC00144.jpg
    DSC00144.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC00145.jpg
    DSC00145.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 181
That is the primary postion pin from the flux capacitor! hahaha just kidding. No but for real I have no clue. It looks like a cir-clip of some type though...wish I could be more helpful than that.

Best guess;

Retainer wire from my partial denture (lower).:D

Travis can you get a crystal ball installed on this site?:laugh:

#9 or #7

-

Attachments

• XS650 Starter Gears 8 7 .jpg
    XS650 Starter Gears 8 7 .jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Hi guys thanks for all the suggestions now i have a few places to check ,oh and I don't have a starter motor and the flux capacitor was sadly not available for this model , don't think it was introduced until 82 LOL

The engine is now sitting in the conservatory on a stand awaiting a strip down so I'll get a better idea of whats needed

I got a mate to help me lift it out and it was a little easier than i expected but I bet its going to be a sod to get back in LOL

Judging by the dreadful way the previous owner went about servicing I'm more than a little
anxious to see what horrors may be inside !!!!!!!!!! but as the engine was rebuilt by a local bike garage it might be ok so I think a thorough flush is probably a good idea to see if i can find the other bits

Back