CAN I bend my kickstand???

madjap

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Can I? Can I take my factory kickstand off my 72 xs650, heat it up and bend it to a different angle? OR, can I not? Thanks in advance...

The early stands are forgings, Heat till it glows, bend, let cool slowly do not quench.
A gentle bend over 1-2" of length is preferable to a "kink" in one spot. Remember the side stand UP position will be different also.

If you have extended forks extending the kick stand may be preferable to bending it.

Note; It is kinda typical for the frame/kick stand mount to be twisted/bent from old age, kick starting on the side stand, and accidents. It will make the kickstand stick out kind of sideways. That area can be brought back towards it's "stock" position. Also using torch and careful leverage.

I just happen to have a very nice early chrome aftermarket extended "choppa' side stand

Thaaaaaaaank YOU gentlemen! I actually, have lowered my bike to the point that the stocker is too long and so I thought I'd try to bend it out a little to get the bike to lean over more while on it's stand. Now that I know I can heat n bend AND weld it, I might get REAL creative with it! Thanks again...

I ground off some the foot on mine and bent it a little because it sat high on the stand when I lowered and worried it would fall over. you could also cut off the foot and shorten the stand leg and weld the foot back on but make sure it's right so it doesn't hit your frame rail when it's up and make it stick out.

I had ground some my kickstand foot off, bent IT down to hit more 'square' on the floor, then heated and bent the leg up, she sits sweeeeeeeet now...

I recently replaced my kickstand with one I found on eBay, wanted to get some feedback.
bj6gjGH.gif

Is this too much play in the 12mm bolt? I tightened it up good and spring works fine.

@ to many XS 1's , Does this help you to get more clearence?

I guess you're asking about my cut, re-angled, welded, chrome-plated, side stand?

Yes, for clearance. Not just for cornering, but to clear my double-peg, linked, lowered, mid-position shifter. The sidestand's ball-end sticks out just enough that I can catch it with the edge of my shoe and swing it out...

Back