Can i just send my carbs to one of you folks?

maxwell

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Honestly, i've lost about a month of riding time with this carb problem. i took my carbs off to clean them out, stepped up a size in jets, put the carbs back on, and the bike began running terribly. took a long time to kick, would only start with the choke on. it was shitty.

so i took the carbs off, put the old jets back in, made sure alll passages were clear of debris, put them back on, and she still runs like shit. she backfires at idle, needs a lot of choke, a few kicks, and runs like complete shit. she even misfires on the right cylinder from time to time.

meanwhile, keep in mind, this was the ONLY thing i did to the bike.

i can't figure it out. at all. if i shipped one of you guys the carbs, could you take a look at it, make sure i didn't fuck anything up somehow?

or do any of you have any idea what it might be? i'm completely stumped.

I've done carb cleaning and jetting for members that have contacted me in the past, but honestly I just don't have the time any more. I think there are a couple others in the shops section that do it. Maybe littlebill does it. I cant remember. I always dissassymbeled them, ultrasonic cleaned, soda blasted, re ultrasonic cleaned then lubed and reassembled. Honestly I believe that is hands down the best way to do it.

What mods are you jetting for?
What year carbs do you have?
What all have you done to the carbs?

What ignition do you have? Air filters? Year of bike? What kind of carbs? Have you tried running "Seafoam" in your gas? Gas filter? Changed it? Clean the filter at the float valve?Give us something to work with!

+1 on Oldskoolcarbs. I just got mine done by him for a basket case I am rebuilding and they look amazing! There are several threads around here on troubleshooting to find good info on the various adjustments and steps needed to get your scoot running right.

Why did you take the carbs off? Or I should ask why you went up a jet size? Did you mess with the mix screw at all. Are black plugs seated right. It sound like one of the pilot curcuits is plugged .

the bike was running fine before everything, it's just that under load there was a small "hiccup." i took the carbs off just because i'd never done it before and wanted to familiarize myself with them. in retrospect, i feel a little dumb, because after working on cars for years, i should have known better: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Anyway, i upped the main jet from a 40 to a 42.5, then after that was shitty i took it down to a 37.5, that was also shitty, so i put it back to a 40, and now that's also shitty. i didn't fiddle with the air mixture screws during any of it because i wanted to first see what it was like with the jet modifications. so the air/fuel screws haven't been touched.

and i'm running mikes xs pods (yeah, i know, UNI's are coming for christmas :laugh::thumbsup:), open dragpipes on the bike. i have no idea what's wrong, and i feel terrible about losing the last two months of riding season with my dad over such bull shit. :banghead::(

i don't see it needing more than 15 minutes worth of work for someone who knows what they're doing - the carbs were spotless when i took them off. it's just, like i said, idiot me felt like learning something, and wound up fucking the whole shit up.

oh, and also, these are a pair of 78 bs38s (i think? at least that's what year the bike is :D)

A massive air leak wouldn't be possible would it? Cracked intakes? Do the intakes have vacuum barbs? You didn't change the float level?

I've had these carbs off quite a few times prior to this without any issue. don't know what vacuum barbs are, but if they had them before i took em off, they had em when i put em back on! lol. And how would one change the float level? i literally took the float bowl off, inspected the carbs, blew em out with carb cleaner, made sure i went over everything with a fine tooth comb, then put the float bowl back on. 4 screws. did i miss something?

Have you inspected your carb holders maybe you riped one takeing them off its easy to do if they are old

Running good, then bad. Without any botched carburetor disassembly, I'd say plugged idle jet is the most likely senerio. Any tiny spec of dirt can block the idle jet because the hole is so small. Quick fix:

Remove the mixture screw and spray carb cleaner inside. Get the little hose right inside the carb and spray. Wear eye protection because the cleaner will splash out and blind you. What you are hoping for is to knock the blocking dirt off the idle jet with the spray. The float can be drained through a paper towel to collect and debris.

Tom Graham

++1 on Oldskoolcarbs. He did mine too. They work great and look like a piece of art!

Maybe even add in a couple of JBM diaphrams (extra $21?).

Does your carbs have a stamped steel top or aluminum. R your jets located in the bowl or the body of your carbs. Just tryin to figure out for sure what carbs you have. The jets you pulled sound like pilot. If you have bs38 them are huge pilot jets. In the mean time I would go to the tech section and download the carb guide or google it. Read it and read it again. Good stuff!!!

check your manifolds - if they're stock then they are probably in bad shape.

sync the carbs: when you take the carbs out and clean them the carb sync linkage gets thrown off so buy a set of guages or make a manometer and give them a good sync - it's simple as hell on these bikes and should be done periodically anyways.

not to take business away from you, oldskool, but, I think it may be betterif we help him figure it out, because, these problems will happen again, wether rusty tank, or rubber eating ethanol. There will always be some shit floatin around waiting to screw us 10 miles away from home, just as the sun is going down.
keep on it Maxwell.

bump.

well i've got a buddy of mine helping me look the carbs over. the bike is now running again. not the BEST, but running, nonetheless. i've also PM'ed oldschool. hopefully he gets back to me soon.

thanks guys - a lot of encouraging words here.

Back