Can I make my rims with smaller axels work on my 650 frame?

BobberNick

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
OK, I need your knowledge!

I bought some wire wheels last night from a local guy for my 650 project. I'm almost positive that these rims didn't come from an XS 650. As you can see the rear wheel drum has a sprocket attached. It's a really cool look, but will it work if I use correct spacers? Also, the axels for these wheels are smaller than the standard ones used on my XS. I'm not sure what year my frame is, because the Vin has been painted over with some really head paint.

So, my questions are, could I run the drum/sprocket combo if I space it correctly for chain alignment and run linkage for the opposite side brake pedal? Also, can I run the smaller axels without problems? Do I need to run some sort or insert into the larger fork legs on the front and back axel mounts? I hope these questions are stated clearly.

Thank for your guys help. This is the ultimate MECCA for XS info!

Bobber Nick

Attachments

• rims.jpg
    rims.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 134
Chain alignment should be your first concern as far as axle spacers go. The wheel needs to be centered in the frame for the bike to track down the road properly. If the chain ends up hitting the tire when centered, you need an offset front sprocket. If the chain is too far away from the rear sprocket when centered... you need an offset rear sprocket.

As far as the brake, its possible, but won't be easy.

Can you safely run smaller axles? Don't know. How safe do you want to be? To be honest we'd need some measurements to accurately answer this, but I'm going to say "I wouldn't do it, but thats me"

If possible, would I be better off to machine our the current hub to make it bigger for the stock axel to fit?

We can't see in there good enough to give any meaningful answer. Spacers, collars and a bunch O time figurin' it all out. How are the axle lengths? This may be one of those if you have to ask you maybe aren't the guy to do it areas??? I am dealing with the same kind of issues on my tracker project and am doing lot's of measuring, finding parts I can machine, and lathe work to make things fit.

The axle lengths are fine, they are just small in diameter.... I'm wondering if I can weld or mount collars or a tube that would replicate the thickness of the original axle where it mounts on the front forks and two for the rear axle mounts. Here's a drawing of what I was thinking for the front forks. I would probably want to add a pin through the bushing, axle and fork to avoid it moving... What do you think?

Attachments

• AXLE SHIM DRAWING.jpg
    AXLE SHIM DRAWING.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 96
We really need to know the diameter of the axle you WANT to use... if its a 17mm axle for example, that would mean using a 1.5mm thickness sleeve. MIGHT work, but thats awfully thin. Also too small diameter of an axle would be bad too. Whats too small? I don't know, I'm no engineer. Bore out the hubs? Sounds sketchy to me. Drill out the hubs? Hell no.

OK, I may just want to polish these up and get them back on the market... I'm thinking these rims came off an old Norton Commando... I may want to look for some buyers there. Do you know what the standard stock Axle sizes are for the XS650? Is the front axle the same size as the rear axle? Thanks for the education guys.

As a for instance,, on the front; the Speedo drive, bearing bearing spacer, bearing, spacer RH lower fork, washer are all compressed by the axle nut. So any bushings need to be able to resist compression as well as hold the bearings centered.

Don't know what those wheels are from but probably not British, not too many 16" British rear wheels of that vintage. I vaguely recall Kawasaki doing that brake sprocket thing for a bit????

Actually i'm pretty sure all you need are bearings with the OD of the rim you are using and the ID of the xs axle. Spacers are a different story but simple simon to make for someone with a lathe.

Wow, that makes all of the sense in the world. Can you recommend a place where I could get varying sized bearings?

Those might be Harley wheels. They had the brake and sprocket on the same side. How many teeth does the sprocket have?
Leo

Back