Can it be done?

patrickp

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Before you say "just strip the head off and do the job properly" I believe the motor has only done 8k from new (1975) and I don't want to split the cam chain and disturb the head.

My question to you guys is can I use the motor at TDC to support the valves whilst fabricating a valve spring compressor, using the head bolts to hold it in position, to get to the valve seals and is it possible to remove/fit new seals with the valves still in position? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ergh. i suppose this is potentially possible. But it would be better to get a compressor fitting to go into your spark plug hole to hold the valve up while you did this.

The other issue is that i don't think there are any pivot points you could use on the head to compress the springs. Might be wrong. never tried to figure it out.

Yeah, you can do it with an air compressor fitting to hold up the valves or feed a bunch of string in the piston to hold up the valves. I have a tool, looks like a punch with a magnet in the end that you push down hard on the valve stem and it grabs those keepers for you. It's a pain to use, I don't recommend it.

You can pull the engine in less than an hour. Set it on the table and pull the top valve cover off. Remove the cam chain tensioner for more slack and slip the cam bearings off. You can then carefully pull the cam out without breaking the chain. Of course at this point you still have to deal with the valves with that tool I mentioned. I'd just pull the head instead at that point, but you'll probably disturb the base gasket too...it's pandora's box I suppose.

Thanks for your replies but I don't know what you mean by saying use a compressor fitting - is it a special tool?

My fabricated valve compressor tool would bolt to the protruding rocker cover bolts pressing the valve spring down with a long tyre lever of sorts with a fork fixed on the end. If my idea works I would not have to disturb the cam timing, camshaft, cylinder head gaskets etc. So it might be a good idea for future use and to other members of the site (see attached link - http://www.650motorcycles.com/CamTiming.html).

I like the idea of the string in the spark plug hole.

But does anybody know the answer to my second question about the valve guide seals and whether I can replace the seals with the valves in position and are they just a push on fit.

the compressed air is the keep the cylinder full and not drop a valve. valve seals can be done without pulling the engine. it's an easy task.

But does anybody know the answer to my second question about the valve guide seals and whether I can replace the seals with the valves in position and are they just a push on fit.

Patrick
follow the link I posted above to the Garage, its been done before :thumbsup:

I just reread the thread. I was just as impressed as I was the first time. Greeper's tool was a very good device.
I have done simular things on car engines to change seals or broken springs.
I used the rope trick to hold the valves up. With the valve held up you can remove the springs. This gives you plenty of room to change the seals.

Alas the pics from that garage thread have been eaten by the photobucket monster. Was thinking of trying this and wanted to see Grepper's tool.

Doing this now, one seal done on the survivor, Grepper's thread and how-to is excellent. May post up a pic of a minor variation on the VSCT "tool", but I printed and am following the how-to to the letter. Thanks!

And DONE! Time to first valve seal done about 1.5 weeks, the other three done and bike back on the road? about 2.5 hours. Not bad, not bad at all. I think I will do one more bike "because" using a mark IIIa vsrt and then report my variations from the write up. prolly the biggest change is as others have used, about 3' of soft rope in the plug hole to hold the valves, this made several parts of the job simpler. I ran it in the driveway but need to warm it up good and take it down a steep hill see if the smoking is gone. I tried my best to remove the valve seals without damage with only so so results but the one I suspected most appeared to have a dent or crack at the valve stem.

Fantastic ! Thanks Gary ! a very interesting tool ! , I wouldn't have thought that the valve seals would go bad that often but I guess sense they are Rubber/plastic stuff...... age does effect them ! good to know thank you !
Bob.........

a paste up from the Garage in case it disappears:
Apr 18, 2009 at 8:15am
icon-options.png

Post by grepper on Apr 18, 2009 at 8:15am
Hello All

The big question, Is it possible to change your Valve Seals without taking the engine out and disassembling the head? Yes! But it's not easy. One of my bikes was leaking oil through the valves, so I took it upon myself to try it. Here's how I did it.

If anyone wants to chime in, even to say DON'T DO THAT, you are welcome.

Making the tool:
I couldn't find a Electrical Conduit Reducer as PemcoPete suggests, so I made my own tool. I bought a 1/2 inch pipe coupling from the local hardware store.
DSCF0001.jpg

Next I went at it with my $15 Harbor Freight angle grinder (it's fun grinding metal, sparks everywhere), and cut a nice big window in it, leaving only about 1/3 inch wide support on one side and top and bottom rings only a few millimeters thick. I finished off with a hand file to make sure I got all the loose barbs off (don't want any bits falling into the engine).
DSCF0002.jpg

Other tools I used were assorted clean screw drivers, a couple of pairs of needle nose pliers, and various wrenches, very good lighting and a LOT OF PATIENCE.
Now that I have my tool, I'm ready to take apart the valves. With the engine at TDC, I do one valve at a time, first removing the tappet cover, then the tappet out of the rocker arm. Also, I put a nice clean screw driver through the spark plug hole to catch the valve before it drops all the way down into the piston.
Next I slip one end of my tool between the rocker arm and the top of the valve spring, and the other over the rocker arm. I have a 8mmX1.0 bolt, nut and washer, feed it through the top of the tool and into the top of the rocker arm.
DSCF0003.jpg

Here I have to make sure everything is nice and square, with the bottom of my tool centered on the valve. Then I tighten the nut down, compressing the spring down, but not the top of the valve and collets. With the spring compressed, I can gently push the valve up with my screw driver through the spark plug hole. The collets will come loose. Then very carefully I use a pair of bent tip needle nose pliers to take the collets out. My tool provides a nice catch for these, but it's still possible to drop them down into the head.
(If the collets do fall down into the head, go out to the driveway, stomp your feet and curse a bit. Then go out the back yard, grab a seat, have a cigarette, and watch the birds in the trees and calm down. Then go back into the garage and fish those collets out.)
Next, decompress the spring and remove the tool. Then I use a screw driver, forcing it between the spring and the retaining washer on top the spring and remove it.
Then I put my tool back in compressing the spring, this time there's no retaining washer on top of the spring (so I have room to pull the old valve seal out).
Note, exhaust valves can drop down past the seal, but intake valve do not. If the exhaust valve drops down too far and you lose the hold you have on it with the screw driver through the spark plug hole, it’s not all over. (Go through anger and calming exercise above). You can take the exhaust header pipe off, reach in there with some needle nose pliers and push it back up.
Next, I use my bent tip needle nose pliers to reach down into the spring and pull the old seal out. I found that I ended up grabbing the top first and ripping that out, then reaching in again for the rest of the seal. Again, be very careful not to drop any unwanted bits into the head.
After you have the old seal out, you can put the new seal in. I put my seal casually into the spring. Pushed the valve up and gently used my fingers to push the top of the valve past the top of the seal. With the valve up, I gently but firmly use the tips of my bent nose pliers and push the seal into place. I want to make sure I don't damage the new seal. I test the seal, moving the valve up and down making sure it stays in place.
(Hurray! I over half way done with the first seal)
I decompress the spring, take my tool out.
I pop the retaining washer back on to the top of the spring. Then put my tool back in, compress the spring, push the valve up, put the collets back in, and decompress the spring. Then take my tool out. Put the tappet back in. Set my valve clearance, put the tappet cover back on and I'm done with one valve.
Honestly it took me about 45 minutes to do one seal. I didn’t rush things, and even though I was very careful, I found that getting the tool square on the spring was not easy. If I didn’t have it square, I had to decompress, square it up again, and try again. With things not square and centered, I would not be able to get the seal in or out, the collets didn’t want to go back in, etc… After I finished, I wonder if it would have been easier to just take the engine out, maybe not, that’s not easy either.
Last Edit: Apr 18, 2009 at 8:20am by grepper
Fix em, ride em, maken em better. Loven these old school twins

Back