Can someone tell me what these components are? (pictures included)

lopejd01

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I pulled out my battery box today. When I was disconnecting components I accidentally pulled the top part off this cylinder that gets feed straight from the battery and ripped apart a wire. Pretty sure I'm not going to be able to fix it and I'm going to have to get a new one. But I'm not sure what this component actually is.

this other component was attached (secured by the hands of God) to the bottom of the battery box. Looks pretty dingy, probably should get a new one of these too. know what it is?

Attachments

• IMG122.jpg
    IMG122.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG123.jpg
    IMG123.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG121.jpg
    IMG121.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 135
Starter solenoid and rectifier. Kick start, no problem/rectifier-no charging, big problem. If you're tearing your bike apart definitely find a manual.

I'll be getting one soon.

Thanks, the charging system works so i guess instead of shelling out $100 I'll just keep it till it dies. Wonder why they put it on the bottom of the box where all the crap flies up into it.

Ripped one of the wires that leads into the solenoid. Im going to see if I can fix it but it leads all the way into it and not sure If I can get in that far. I'm going try and take it apart. 20$ on ebay though, not going to kill me if it doesnt work.

You should be able to get almost the same thing at any auto parts store. In Canada we have princess auto and they carry something similar.

You could replace it with a Ford starter solenoid but you'd need to move it and make a bracket. I adapt off-the-shelf auto parts to bikes whenever I can as the work just as well, are usually more reliable, are easier to find and are cheaper.

And like hotrdd noted, there might be a car part that will swap on easier than the Ford solenoid.

If I was close I would say send me the old one and I'll fix it for you. I hate the fact that the today's society just throw things away. I'm still young but I have a shop full of free tools that someone gave away because they were broken. E.g. (Arc welder, computerized band saw, wood lathe etc. Etc)

Back