Can you id these carbs?

sullitf

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a '79 xs650 and the carbs have been leaking a little fuel out of what I assume is the overflow tube. I hadn't looked too closely at what carbs where on the bike, low and behold they aren't stock!

I found some scribbled notes in his old shop manual mentioning Mikuni 36mm VM carbs, can anyone ID these for sure or know what I should look for? For reference the setup is aftermarket tank with single petcock -> fuel filter -> T'ed off to feed both carbs which are totally separate from each other.

I was originally thinking the petcock was slowly leaking as well but the bike has sat for a few days and when I looked today the inline filter was totally empty so looks like it is just the carb float at fault. Anyone happen to know what the float height spec is for these carbs?

WP_000102.jpg

WP_000111.jpg

WP_000112.jpg

WP_000113.jpg

Thanks!
Tony

Should have a dug a little deeper in the tech section! Found a link to model IDs and these are VM34-168, 34mm Mikuni VM carbs

My second question remains though, what should the float be set at and is the process similar to adjusting the stock carb floats?

While im at it, I'm all for a little noise but this straight pipes are ridiculous. Any recommendations on pipes that have a good sound and don't totally rob the engine of back pressure?

You better positively I.D. them as 34s or 36s because the float height is different between the two .....

VMFloatLevels.jpg

There should be a number stamped on them I think I see a "4" on that little plate on the side in one of your pics. That could make them 36s, their I.D. # is 36-4 .....

http://www.carbparts.com/mikuni/vm__round_slide_standard_specifi.htm

Here's a 32 I have showing the model # stamping, 32-33 .....

VMID.jpg

Quieter exhaust will improve back pressure, not diminish it. Straight pipes without baffles or a crossover produce practically none.

i have straight pipes on my 73 and ran the TC Bros baffles to get my back pressure back! you can play around with them to get a nice sound aswell! not sure if it gives you the right back pressure, but have had no problems with them! anyone out there running them with anyproblems?

Back