Can you pull the intake valve spring without pulling the engine out?

jurob

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My left side has no compression caused by left intake valve seal. (not the umbrella valve seal)

Would like to do a quick valve lapping to get it back on the road.

If not I'll pull the engine and remove the head.

Well, yes you can but I don't think you can lap a valve with the motor together.

Rubber hose on the valve stem to lap.

Removing the compound, dust, debris, etc.... Is the trickier part.

Best way to remove spring is?

I've filled the cyl with a small length of rope through the spark plug hole to keep the valves from dropping in a different application. havn't torn into an xs yet to see if its a danger.

I'm going to just pull them motor. I'll lap it with the head on the motor, but I'm going to have issues with the rocker arm so I'll pull the valve cover and remove the rocker arm and lap it. If that doesn't fix my leak then I'll pull the head.

I think if I had the engine pulled I would pull the head to lap the valves. Any of the lapping compound that gets left inside the engine can get into the cylinder and rings. I don't think the cylinder and rings will like the lapping compound.

I've tried all the damn tricks to do valve seals and such in the engine. None has been successful or save time to me so far. To hell with that, I can pull the engine faster than messing with all that...

I feel the hardest part about top end work is removing the motor. Chances are, since the one valve is bad, the others probably need some work, too. The exhausts are usually the ones that require attention. They take more of a beating what with the hot exhaust gases flowing through them.

No doubt the most time consuming part is going to be pulling the motor, but not a big deal. Just don't feel like having to replace all the gaskets. Everything adds up quick. Good thing I don't have to pay a mechanic!

Plan is to use brake cleaner through intake flooding cylinder and vacuuming out the spark plug hole a few times then fogging cylinder. I don't foresee that being an issue.

Back