Canadian Needle install question

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
For 1980 Stock BS34 carbs.

I want to install the canadian needle and needle jets. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that one needle should be in one clip position while the other in a different position. Does anybody know where I find this info or remember?

Basically, I'm having a hell of a time with my carbs. A dealer installed new throttle shaft seals and now all hell is breaking loose. Stuttering bad at 20-40mph. Idle is way too high and I can't get it down. I've resynced carbs. Getting 12 inch of vac on those guages.

At present the pilot and main are up one size to accomidate the straight unbaffled pipes and the pod filters.

I got a bad feeling that the butterflies are off center so I'm going to remove the carb and check out, will likely add the needles then.

About ready to punt the carbs across my garage.

Yes, it sounds like the butterflies are binding in the bores. That would cause the idle to hang.

Removed my carbs...this is what I found...right carb won't close no matter where I adjust the sync settings. Thanks dealer.

Left side closes - no light makes it through.

1235282_10201115531404039_1730095685_n.jpg

Right side - obviously isn't closed.
1236702_10201115535564143_858113024_n.jpg

When you install the butterfly, with the screws just snug, you need to open it fully and let it snap shut several times. This centers it in the bore. Then tighten the screws fully.

We never did get around to your original question. I've never seen anything in print that gives the original Canadian carb settings, in particular the needle setting. What I can tell you from comparing them is that the Canadian version when set in the middle #3 slot is 2mm shorter than the fixed original. That's a big difference, equal to two slot positions on an adjustable needle. You can try it in the middle #3 slot but may end up needing to run it a step leaner in the #2 slot.

Yeah...I'm waiting on the new screws for the throttle shaft before I tackle this. looking forward to installing the canadian needles since I've had them about 2 years. i'll probably give the number 2 slot a try first.

Be aware that you're supposed to run the Canadian needles along with the corresponding Canadian needle jets as a matched pair. Sticking Canadian needles in the original needle jets may not work very well.

As far as the butterfly screws go, you don't need to remove them, just loosen them some. You may not need to replace them.

Yeah. I'm waiting on the needle jets for the Canadian needles. Ordered a set of butterfly screws as well just in case. Might as well do it all at the same time. Would be bad except my garage is hella hot in baton rouge this time of year and the wife gets pi$$ed if I bring the carbs inside the house to work on.

The right side is known to run a bit hotter on than the left. This may be why some one some where ran the needles set differently. One step richer on the warmer side may get them even.
XSJohn's needles had a slightly different taper that compensated for the heat.
Leo

Last edited:
Back