Capacitor Discharge with Engine Off (No Battery)

Rogue21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am running a PMA setup and using a Sparx capacitor with no battery. Currently, my bike is running well. No major issues (fingers crossed), but could probably use a little tweaking here and there.

For a kill switch, I am using a Single Pole Single Throw automotive switch that breaks the circuit of my ignition system. The switch has a metal housing which is always in contact with the frame (which is also the "ground").

I ran the bike at idle today. A few seconds after using the kill switch to shut off the engine, I noticed I could create some sparks between the kill switch's metal housing and the frame. I assume the sparks are coming from the stored energy in the capacitor and traveling to the kill switch housing via the switch.

I did not realize the metal housing on the switch was actually connected with the positive pole on the switch (if that makes sense :shrug: ). So I am planning to move or change out the switch to avoid frame and switch contact.

Anyone else have experience with this? Should I even care if the capacitor discharges its energy when the bike is off? Should I wire something like a Single Pole Double Throw switch so that when ON, the ignition system circuit is complete, and when OFF, the circuit connects back to the ground which should discharge the capacitor?

Below is essentially what I have for my ignition system wiring harness.

1978 XS650
Pamco Ignition System
PMA Kit (from Hugh) with regulator/rectifier
Sparks Capacitor
No Battery

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram.jpg
    Wiring Diagram.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 223
Back