Car tires instead

I get 14K miles out of Michelin Commanders on my 830 pound bike with my 250 pound ass on it running 60-80mph up and down the road in Texas heat. Maybe your Vulcan owning bud should try a GOOD motorcycle tire, and maybe checking the pressure every other day. Now, if it's a 2000 and he's heavy on the throttle, no bike tire will last for shit, but you should not be riding one of those barges with odd sized tires on it if it's your only transportation. People think I'm silly for running a tad narrower rear on my Road Star, but a 140 is just a bit taller, a pound lighter, and steers better. Optimising the tire choice to the application, not spanking it like a dick hole, and being dilligent with CORRECT tire pressure really helps.
$0.02

Why not just stretch the tire to pull the flat out of it. Vip & Camber yo.

You can't "stretch" a steel belted radial out of shape. They are built to be square. Motorcycle tire construction is deliberately round in the tread block and can't be made square.

I say that, but I believe your comment was tongue in cheek.

You baby your ride, get 14K on a tire, and think that is impressive? Really? Like the previous poster said, where are all the casualties from running car tires, especially riding conservatively as you suggest he do anyway?

you forgot to shift the throttle over to the left side with a steel push/pull wire cable like the old Indians

yep, some people demand to shoot right handed when rollin' :bike:

All in all, on a trike/sidehack/3 wheeler in general... sure... on non-steering wheels. But, on a 2 wheeler that will likely be pushing the ton.... moto specific rubber for this guy. :thumbsup:

Why not just stretch the tire to pull the flat out of it. Vip & Camber yo.

You baby your ride, get 14K on a tire, and think that is impressive? Really? Like the previous poster said, where are all the casualties from running car tires, especially riding conservatively as you suggest he do anyway?

If you think I baby it you should read my post again. How and where I ride is considered severe duty by tire manufacturers. I can't control the heat, but I can control the speed, torque application, and tire pressure. If you are even marginally competent at those, better tire life results. I suggest HE should if it's his sole means of transportation. I'm not saying the practice kills and maims people on a daily basis, but plenty of things are just fucking dumb without making that yard stick.

You could go with a Shinco classic tire.
It has a fairly flat profile
I use one and it corners quite well too
full

"I'm not saying the practice kills and maims people on a daily basis, but plenty of things are just fucking dumb without making that yard stick."

And I have never met, nor heard of anyone wrecked from a car tire on a bike. Today's tires don't have the profiles of the old days, and are far better at this game than in the past. So what is your point? Lots of people will tell you to your face that just playing in traffic on two wheels is stupid to begin with. It's a personal decision about risk/reward, and a lot of guys think that the reward of tripling your tire life is a very small gamble. Oh, I will drive my 2 wheel drive car in the snow, too.

I drive a 2 wheel drive pickup on ice and snow without studs or chains, but it has TRUCK TIRES on it. A gentleman I know named Edgar Biggs broke his left leg when a car tire dismounted from the rear of his Kawi Voyager. There's one. I defer to my signature line.

Ride smart, Ride safe. They ARE out to get you.

I will not accept work on a motorcycle that has an automotive tire on it .
I will not ride a motorcycle that has an automotive tire on it .
I will not touch a motorcycle that has an automotive tire on it .
I will not ride near a motorcycle that has an automotive tire on it .
I will not allow a motorcycle that has an automotive tire on it on or near my business or personal property .

I will not discus or argue on any of these points . Ignore my wishes on my property or at my business and mayhem will ensue .

It's well known that I have over four decades experience with motorcycles .
This is what I do and how I treat the subject . Do what ever you want , just not around me .

~kop

Frighting to ride behind one on the twisties. Fairly common to see on the big baggers like Goldwings and HDs and what have youse.

Disturbing to see a bike hike up it's tail around a corner as it rolls onto that square edge, watching the rear shocks try to deal with the uneven forces created and the back end walking all over the place.

Excuse my chuckles when you talk about how twisty that was, or how tired your arms are, or how you scraped a peg... when my "little" CB550 is not just holding the pace, but helping set the pace.

"I've been running. the TKC80s I believe are Bias Ply so I'm runin a radial ply car tire in back and bias ply knobby bike tire in front"

He lost my attention right there, halfway into the first post.

Are they both inflated?

And man, is that going to track the grooves on the freeway something horrible!

the shinko is pretty square normally after a little bit of miles. Highway grooves have never bothered me, even with the front ribbed tire. If it doesn't work out, i'll just swap it out.
mounted
1394133011.jpg

Back