Carb backfire/loud wet fart from carb, then stalls...

Jeepert88

broaaaaap
Reaction score
Good day gents,

I'm in need of help/advise.

Here's the case. I just put the motor back together after changing the front camchain guide. Replaced gaskets and all. Timing is set spot on (powerdynamo permanent magnet blabla). Torqued the bolts to spec, put the (thoroughly) cleaned carbs back on. Started her, first ride went perfect.

But now when I'm in first or second gear at low rpm or when I'm of throttle rolling towards a traffic light or something, I can hear and see a large,loud, wet fart coming from the carb. I mean with earplugs in I can hear it. But that's not it, when it does that sometimes the engine just quits on me. The bastard! After that it starts on first kick and I'm on my way again.

Normally I wouldn't mind to much, but I recently moved and I'm in busy traffic everyday. Not real fun with a bike that will stall at random.

I played with a/f screw, cleaned k&n podfilters, cleaned carbs again, gas flows free to carb, valves set to spec('82 heritage special), timing is correct....

What could this be? Plugs?

Hi Jeepert,
it's far more likely that your carb cleaning didn't work quite right &/or the carb to head joint is leaking air.
BTW I used to work with a Dutchman who called me "Floopert" but wouldn't explain what it meant.
Should I have been flattered, amused or insulted?

Back