Carb diaphragm repair/replacement

DC Cycle Works

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Anyone had any luck repairing their slide diaphragms specifically on bs38s? I am probably gonna order the ones from jbmindustries.com but was thinking about trying to salvage these ones also. The first thing that popped in my head was liquid electrical tape since it's pretty rubbery. Thoughts? Tried anything that has worked?

There is an article over on 650 central website of a guy who repaired with plastidip spray.
Go to http://www.650central.com/ and near the bottom of the resources tab click on Farrel's Shade Tree Corner. Looks down through his articles and you will see it.
It's worth a shot.:thumbsup:

I've done this, can't tell you how it works long term, but it worked until I quit riding the bike. I found the thickest nitrile glove that I could find, cut a patch from that glove. I prepped the area with scotch brite then cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. I glued the patch on with Loctite Super Glue, Ultragel Control, comes in a blue and black little bottle, this glue is supposed to be flexible when cured. After the glue was cured I put another thin coat of glue around the edges of the patch. There's a lot of opinions on which side of the diaphragm to place the patch on, I don't remember which side I placed it on, I think it was the non-vacuum side. Also, this depends on the place and size of the hole.

Scott

I used the plastidip spray trick on mine about 10 years ago. Just a few pinholes. Ditto on putting it on the bottom, non-vacuum side. They were still working until I put in JBMindustries diaphragms last year...

It also looks like K&L supply makes them along with the rubber intake manifolds and float bowl gaskets I am a dealer for them and have always had good luck with their stuff so I will probably order through them. I think I will still try to fix these ones just to see how it works and so I can test fire the bike while waiting for the new parts to show up. I will post results here if anyone is interested and also post about the quality of the K&L stuff Incase anyone's needs a second source for them

Back