Carb Fuel Leak

MikeCas

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Thanks for turning me on to the XS650 Garage Carburetor Guide. I learned a lot, but still have a problem. My bike is a 1983 with BS34 carbs. The problem is that fuel leaks from the inlet "T" where the fuel enters the carburetors. This is a metal fitting with what appears to be a rubber coating. The bike sat for 31 years and it is possible that the rubber may have dried out. Is this part still available? Any other suggestions? I appreciate your help!

I have seen links here on this forum about solutions and there are T parts to Buy

https://www.xs650shop.de/en/carb-mikuni-bs-34/840/brass-fuel-line-t-piece/bs-34

But the carburetors are difficult to separate.. Right JIS bit and Right tools .
Clamping the carburetors down
I have tried twice not getting them off. Without
Ending in drilling and a lot of Work.

I am a bit of " Quick Fix " Low budget getting it to run.Person I would most likely try to smear some
Gasket forming chemical on the outside. Se what happens. Rubber can benefit of some gas on it again sometimes
But if the bike has been sitting .The Experienced gentlemen here
Dont even want a start attempt to happen. Because old gas would clog the carburetor.
But speaking for myself .I would perhaps try it.
The float bowls can be taken down carbs still on the bike .And if that is not bad.
I would be tempted to try a start up. Se what happens .But again Many here will probably Protest.
I also matters what is going on here .If it is a full restoration then a tear down will happen
But if it is something for a run to the roadside Cafe and back tomorrow it can be a different situation.
I also happen to Know that people here likes Pictures

Are the carbs on the bike? Or bench testing? I've found when they are installed with stock air boxes they are nice and tight and no leaks. Once I buttoned up the air boxes the leek stoped for me.

I never had to separate them. The one time I tried I busted the detent that holds the little ball to keep choke in position. I use a clip now to use my choke. How do they come off the t? Do they just pull apart one the rest is disconnected? Idk how u get the choke rod out either?

Thanks, guys. I have the part in hand and will try an overnight soak in gas. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll order the new one. Can't wait to hear it run!

Mike

I've always been lucky enough to get the original T fitting to re-seal, but there's a trick to it. You need to clamp the carbs together so the T is held tight. Do this with the top butterfly shaped bracket and the bottom angle bracket installed but loose. Tighten the clamp then tighten the brackets .....

e70CRqV.jpg

1wcRp8U.jpg

I never had to separate them. The one time I tried I busted the detent that holds the little ball to keep choke in position. I use a clip now to use my choke. How do they come off the t? Do they just pull apart one the rest is disconnected? Idk how u get the choke rod out either?
The tee is just a push fit. lube and twist, then it slides right out once you remove the angle iron screws to separate the carbs. Might want to see this thread about the perils of removing the screws. https://www.xs650.com/threads/ok-carb-gurus-what-s-up-here.59179
A source for the tee.
https://yamahaxs650.com/product/fuel-line-t-piece/
To remove the choke rod loosen both choke lever lock screws then twist the rod a bit use some lube and work it out. Work over a cookie sheet or such, the detent mechanism in the top of each carb consists of a tiny ball bearing and spring, once the rod comes out those parts are free to head to a part of the universe never seen by man.
DSCN3608.JPG
bs34s chock detent circled.jpg

Back