carb guru's?

gordonscott

XS650exhaust.com
Reaction score
Getting my sidecar ready for the season but have a little glitch :mad: The problem I have right now is the bike is hard to start the colder it's getting out here? Last year she would fire right up on the second to forth kick at 20deg, full choke for 15sec and then choke off. But now it's taking a ton of kicks and sometimes doing the big backfire out the tail pipe and it's only 35-40deg outside. It's not even cold yet and she's already bitch'in at me! Carb guru's?

Remove the float bowls and inspect your choke feed jets for blockage. If they're plugged, the choke won't function and the bike will be very hard to start when cold. They're located near the bottom of a bored hole (circled in red below) in the front lip of the bowl. They are pressed in so you'll need to blow and/or poke them clear .....

ChokeJet.jpg

Hi Guys, Thanks for the replys :thumbsup: The bike has not sat for over a week at a time without being ridden :shrug: I have cleaned the bowls real well and carb cleaner seams to flow thru the passages well when I stick the little straw in there and spray? I've done all the reg stuff like cleaning jets, etc.... but maybe I missed something, these eyes are getting older :( thanks guys, I'm going in again :)

Charging the battery will fix it I bet. The battery's not as good as it was this time last year.

Why don't you think it's an ignition/battery/charging issue?
Thanks guys for the replys. Hi Gary, I just installed some driving lamps and I checked to see what was happening when I turned them on. At ride rpm's I'm charging 13+amps ( more the higher the rpms) and battery is 12.6 or so when bike is off. But you got me thinking coil now? I'll let you know.

If you hold the bowl up to a good light source and peer down that bored passageway in the front lip, the hole in the choke jet will "light up" if it's clear. I have a long needle tip for my blow gun that allows me to place the end right down tight onto the top of the jet and blast it clear .....

BlowGuns.jpg

Fixed it :D Fixed it yesterday but had to wait until this mornning to confirm. Not carbs, battery, plugs, gas, coil, it was...... Oh lets see who gets it right :laugh:

Back