Carb ID?

Maverick79

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. Stupid question. How do i find out what carbs i have? I bought a pair of carbs at a swap meet. The guy told me they were off a 1980 xs,but i'd rather be sure before i start messing with them. thanks

Go to the carb guide there's some handy dandy ways of distinquishing them by looking at the carb throats.....

If that doesn't give you enough clues post some pics with similar views, should be a piece of ----If they are of and 80' they should be BS 34's....the top set. The bottom pics are of the throat view of two types of BS 38's compared. Blue

Attachments

• BS 38 Mikuni Carbs.jpg
    BS 38 Mikuni Carbs.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 177
  • BS 34.jpg
    BS 34.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 105
It looks like the one on the bottom left. I can't get the pic to enlarge though. I think it says 77 and older? Will they work on an 81 engine?

Here's some others to look at as well.

The first two are two types of linked BS 38's and the second the BS 34's OEM to your 81
H or SH I assume? Could you post some pics of the ones you have in question?

The answer to your question is yes BS 38's could be used on your 81 but there would be issues of change need re the carb boots eg and air filters perhaps?

The three sets pictured are BS 38 typeII 76' 77' BS 38 TypeIII 78'79' and BS 34 80'-83'

May want to be a little skeptical about ID and condition....if they're anything other than the last of the three examples.....you've already likely been misinformed about them being off a 80 xs. Blue

Attachments

• 1aa1.jpg
    1aa1.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 123
  • BS 38 Type II View 2.jpg
    BS 38 Type II View 2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 119
  • BS 34.jpg
    BS 34.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 121
I think you may have a shot fitting the linked carb sets of these years to the 75 intakes with modifications for a single throttle cable vs. the dual control OEM cables of the 75B. I've done that before and it's pretty straight forward. As to the 72 however I don't know and I have my doubts....properly angled boot holders intakes to carb set??? None that I know of. JBM angled BS 38 carb boots work for adapting BS 38 II's to the 75' engine. I've got same. Blue

Different jets than what???

At this point it isn't clear what the carb set is, what condition they're in? how those carbs are jetted now?, what bike you'll be running them on? what air filters you'll be running? what exhaust ?????

"Do I need different jets?" YGTBS! Start with defining what you have, then what you want to set up re the bike. BTW....Don't assume that once you know what carbs you have that you know how they're jetted? Or what condition they're in?

Maybe you could start by posting some pictures of the carb set in question? Blue

If everything is stock the jets stay with the carb not the engine. IE don't put 72 jets in a 76 carb bolt the 76 carb and intakes on the 72 engine jets and all. This applies to any years.

Then save yourself time and effort download print and USE this guide to overhaul your carbs!!!!
http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf

I don't anything about carbs. I think is has stock jets. They look ok one butterfly is stuck. I'm probably running tc bros filters and make and exhaust.

If you know nothing and want to keep it that way send the carbs to one of the rebuilders (several on here) and bolt them on when you get them back. A stuck butterfly is in all likelyhood a junk carb once the throttle shaft hole is boogered the body is way beyond economic repair, the set is just spare parts for a rebuilder.

Can you take and post pictures of the carburetors you are trying to identify?

This is getting more than a little silly....."They look ok (but) one butterfly is stuck" !!!

If you're going further with carburetor anything it's time to follow gggGary's advice above re the carb guide.

I need to learn about them owning a shop. I really don't what to spend 300 on carbs. How am I supose to make money with these insane prices

By knowing what you are doing! And who said you are "supposed" to make money? There are several guys who do rebuilds on here reasonably, lilbill advertises $25 a hole plus parts. The guide is there, I posted a link, do the sweat get the bux, no short cuts like buying junk carbs cause you don't know any better.
$300 isn't insane, those are beautiful carbs, his labor rate is cheap for the quality you get. Learn to do it yourself and you can rake in those "insane" $300 carb bucks. How can you call yourself a shop if you don't even know a LITTLE about carbs????? Sorry but something here is not adding up, please do tell us more about what you are trying to do?

I'm running a business that's why I'm supposed to make money. I can't afford to pay people to do things myself so I have to learn how to do it. Iv messed with fuel injection my whole life this is my first time with carbs. I'm trying to sell parts and build motorcycles for customers.

I ran my own businesses for decades and gave up long ago on the theory I was "supposed" to make money. :laughing: You make money after you figure out your market and gain the expertise to service it properly, before that you are just getting an education.

liljerry I LIKE you! You are tough enough to hang in there through a little abuse. Go to the top of every page on XS650.com see the TECH tab? click on that, look through for threads and info on nearly every aspect of Xs650 ownership. There are guys working on adding to that knowledge base as we chat. You have arrived at the greatest XS650 resource on the planet and we are here to help. 'specally if you help yourself some.

http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf

Back