Carb ID?

sorry for not gettinng back sooner. havingg connection problems so im doing this on my phone and its not letting me post pics

Posted via Mobile

ok Here's a pic

The bike is an 81 not sure h or sh It's just a frame with an engine. No carbs or pipes. The front wheel is wire spoked

Attachments

• Photo0325.jpg
    Photo0325.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 65
OK to begin with those are not carburetors supplied OEM to an 80 XS . They are from a bike pre 78 and probably pre 76. I can't see for sure (would like to see another view) but they don't appear to have an enrichener circuit on the left carb nor to be hard linked, or with a synch adjustment? Actually looks like some concocted hook up of 74 or 75 447's. Probably most like these pictured below?

Let's see a pic of the manifold (other) side....

Attachments

• xs65075Bcarbs.jpg
    xs65075Bcarbs.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 60
Check the number on the butterfly plate. 125 would be '73, 120 would be '74-'75. They can be made to fit on your newer motor but I wouldn't use them. I'd go with a '76 or newer linked set. The only time I'd use '75 and older carbs would be for a restoration where they had to match the year of the bike. The carbs were improved and refined over the years. The newer the set, the better they are.

OK....Mystery solved....The carbs are likely a 447 series set from either 74A or 75B and someone has connected the top bridge from a later set to hold the two carbs close to each other in an attempt to link them somehow. The red rubber cap on one of the gas inlets suggests that someone tried to feed two carb through the crossover tube rather than feed both carbs through a Tee to each. Such would likely have been attempted to get them to work on a post 80's single petcock tank.

This is where I attempt to be diplomatic.....to the best of my knowledge, these pre-linked carb sets with dual throttle cables and a single enrichener were....no ones favorites. They were mounted in straight manifold boots which held them neither level nor parallel and were difficult to synchronize and hold so. More difficulty, yours are likely as big a mess internally as externally. Rebuild time for sure which would only seem advisable for someone trying and caring to keep a
74'A or 75'B in stock condition. I'd say that because; trying to link them or put them on something 1976 (first year of linked carb sets) would seem illogical and unattractive.

My thoughts...what did you have in mind for them? Blue

There we go again 5twins....at least we're still agreeing while we type over each other.

Last edited:
bike vin starts with 4n9 so it's h. So you two are pretty much saying they're useless to me? lol My purpose was to pick up a set of cheap carbs to put on the 81. Guess i'll keep looking. They only set me back $40 so i guess it's not a terrible loss....No need to be diplomatic blue...I got hosed by my own ignorance lol Thanks guys

I agree that they are 74-75 carbs. I don't agree with Blue on the mounting. The 74-75 carbs use the same holders as the linked carbs. I have a 75B The carbs from 74-79 will fit into the same holders. I have a set of carbs almost the same as the ones you have.
If cleaned up they might work ok. They will make a good set to practice your carb cleaning skills.
Leo

Good idea Leo, it sure takes some.....I have a donor set of 2F0's I use that way.
Still trying to get a better grip on what's going on and why with these but; I've come to like the BS 38's and feel like I'm starting to get the hang of them. Best, Blue

Yes, Blue, practice makes perfect, lol. The 650 carbs aren't much different than most others but with all the variations over the years, you really need to know what set you're working on.

Back