Carb leaking gas

Captmandel

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone I am trying to get my bike started for the first time and I got everything hooked up but when I turn on my petcock on either side the carb leaks. I have pinpointed it to a hole in the carb. I looked around and even consulted my clymer and cant figure it out. What the hell is suppose to go there? does it link the carbs? I have fuel line over the fuel jet interconnect and the fuel intake but then a hole under the intake just leaks like crazy. Here are some pictures, can someone please tell me what I need to do? Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 231
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 226
Aren't you working on a 72??

If so, I believe those cross over barb's should be a 90* elbow. At least they are on my 72. Then it has a line that droops way down. They go in right under your main fuel line hook up.

Ok, this puts me in the right direction. I have an xs2 so I guess it a bs38? So there are two spots where the carbs are connected on my old carbs? Where do I buy those nipples? I looked on Mikesxs and cant find anything. Any more help is appreciated. I swear I am looking, i just cant find anything.

I just had this conversation with Mike Morris from 650central.com.

He has 3/16" glue in barb's. I just redid mine, but I used "Seal All",,, not JB Weld.

From his email reply. See if you can make sense of this.

> I seen on your sight you have glue in hose barbs for carbs. I have a 72 XS2 that has the 90* barbs that lets the hose droop down between the 2 carbs. My barbs are loose and leaking. I thought about either using the one that you offer and thread them in, or glue them.

The glue in barbs are 3/16" diameter. Thread ins are 5mm and 6mm. None are 90º

>What type of glue do you use, and do you sell it also.

4 minute JB Weld, but I don't sell it.

Sincerely,

Michael "Mercury" Morse

650 Central
http://www.650central.com/

Well those barbs from 650central look like they could be what I need but what to do about the 90degree bend? 5twins I don't know much about swapping parts. What carb set would be the best and work for my application? 72 xs2. What's the best carb year? Are they all interchangeable? Do I still need two petcocks? What do I do about the second petcock if I don't? I'm full of questions but this seems like a good start. Thanks for the info thus far.

Like 5twins said. Unless you're doing a 100 point restoration, I wouldn't worry about the 90* elbow's.

Ohhh I thought he was saying don't worry about it period and get newer ones. Well I guess that makes sense. Although i would still like the info about what kind of carbs will fit. Also then I can use a single throttle cable. Did you buy those barbs from 650central? How did they work?

Ohhh I thought he was saying don't worry about it period and get newer ones. Well I guess that makes sense. Although i would still like the info about what kind of carbs will fit. Also then I can use a single throttle cable. Did you buy those barbs from 650central? How did they work?

No. I didn't buy them. I re-staked my originals and used seal all around them.

Ok, get ready to cringe...

On the bs38s I've worked on, I've found that those nylon 90° barbs and the carb receiver hole to be lightly tapered. Gently twisting on a barb, it would release from the carb body, allowing rapid removal of carbs. Gently twisting back in produced a leak-proof seal. Been doing this for decades, never a problem. Always figured it was standard procedure, and everybody in the business was doing it thataway.

Comments?

Ok, get ready to cringe...

On the bs38s I've worked on, I've found that those nylon 90° barbs and the carb receiver hole to be lightly tapered. Gently twisting on a barb, it would release from the carb body, allowing rapid removal of carbs. Gently twisting back in produced a leak-proof seal. Been doing this for decades, never a problem. Always figured it was standard procedure, and everybody in the business was doing it thataway.

Comments?

Well. Mine was loose enough I felt I was sure it would leak. So I used Seal All on it. Now I know it won't leak. :thumbsup:

I'm sorry, I don't understand that last post. 5twins, thanks for the info. Two more questiosn for you please sir... What would you pay for that set? I offered 150. 175 shipped. And what would you try and get for my old set? I'm gonna list them on the classifieds here.

I'm sorry, I don't understand that last post.

If you're talking about mine, I was quoting what TwoMany was taking about.

He basically is saying the barb's are not threaded, or glued in, they are just pressed in with a tappered fit to keep them tight, and not leak.

Back