Carb needles different lengths

borjawil

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the title says. Two different lengths needles in my carbs. Been quite some time since I rebuilt a set of these, but don't remember different lengths needles.

yes both same length compare to this chart find correct needle for year of carbs.
650carbspecsreducedsizeey7.png

Check needle jets too they are matched sets.

Some of the aftermarket rebuild kits contain replacement generic needles, usually a Y-22, and they're the wrong length (too short) for any carb set after '73.

What year is your carb set? That will determine which needle it needs.

I'll have to double check but pretty sure it's 78-79. Has the bs38 carbs on it. If earlier years used bs38s why are their so many different needle and jetting differences? All the engines are the same besides the EI and points. I believe I have EI on this one.

Also found a kit with a needle, y267 is what they have it listed as

Yup those look like mine. On Mikesxs when I plug I'm '78, the carb float needles are rubber tipped and have the wire hook to connect to the float. Is that stock or an upgrade? Mine are the metal style with the spring loaded nipple on top. I have brass floats.

Last edited:
Whelp looks like I'll have to reexamine my carbs. Not by them right now but pretty sure I have the 78 style bodies with the 5 ports at the mouth, and I know they're connected with the hose between them.

my slides are the angled ones which look likw they're for the 70-77 and earlier body, the needles are earlier and are retained with the plastic disc like the 77 and earlier slides would be. So the 78 502 needles won't fit since they're too long or so I've read. But are the needles too long due to carb body differences or just the needle jet differences (basically do I just get 502 needles and matching needle jets for the 78) 80 and new had flat slides, but I can't seem to find any pics of the 77-78 slides. Are they the same but different needle holding components? Guess I'll have to check my bowls for early or late style, and all my jets for sizing.

Also answered one of my questions on the float needle. Seems the rubber one is for performance carbs? Any benefit to using these instead of the metal ones, and can they be used with the same needle bowl fitting?

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a set of Franken-carbs, lol, parts from many different years. Your bodies sound like '78-'79 ones, slides like '70-'77 ones. The difference in needle lengths is due to how they mount up in the slide. The '78-'79 slides mount the needles up higher in the slide so need a longer needle. If you compare how much needle hangs out the bottom though, all '74-'79 are about the same (about 33 or 34mm) - if the right needle is used. The '70-'73 needle (4JN19) would be about 5mm shorter.

None of the BS38s ever came with a rubber tipped float needle, but I've heard there are some that can be swapped in. I don't think it's a matter of them being for performance carbs but rather about how well they'll seal and how long they'll last. The rubber ones may be better at this.

Well, not quite. The '70-'73 4JN19 needles are too short and their matching Z-6 needle jet is too long, so those parts are out. The '74-'75 4N8 needle may be OK but you can't get it's matching short Z-6 needle jet anywhere. So, I think you'd need to go with the '76-'77 4M1 needle and matching Z-8 needle jet, then tailor the rest of the jetting around them.

Maybe someone was trying to do an xsjohn mod like the needles he used to sell. The right side gets slightly hotter so he adjusted the needle to compensate.

No, the mix screws differ and are unique to the '78-'79 carbs. You'll have to use them. They have a stepped tip and use an o-ring for sealing. None of the earlier mix screws have an o-ring .....

hSRhiiN.jpg

pt1rxO2.jpg

96i404f.jpg

Mix screws don't usually need replacing but you might need new o-rings for them. Through trial and error, we've managed to track down the perfect replacement size .....

jY1oN2p.jpg

iKGFd0S.jpg

Only one if my mix screws had a spring in it. Springs I got with the kits are about the same length and diameter, but thicker metal and don't compress easily. Look like the 76-77 spring above where as the one in my 78-79 carb was tighter wound/more turns.

Back