Carb Opinions Wanted

Hyde

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey gents, looking to draw on some input & experience. The basket case came with a set of BS34's, believe they were off a Special as they have mount points for a handlebar choke. I'm debating on shipping these off to Oldschoolcarbs for a total refurb or buying a new set. Here's where the input is needed.
Carbs are going into a chop build & will have the (came with them) XS K&N'ish filters.

-is there enough room for those filters to fit around the downpipe of the frame backbone with these carbs? (Engine still in pieces, can't dry run a fitment)
-would you suggest buying a new set of carbs not linked in the middle so as to accommodate that down frame piece and/or save me a deep headache when it's time to start tuning/running the bike?
-new intakes pipes between carb and head will be needed, recomendations under either scenario above?

Thx folks, always appreciate you time!

If you ship them to Rick at OldSkool, you won't be disappointed. They come back looking better than new with all stainless allen hardware. They actually shine like jewelry when you get them! I would ditch the pleated pods and replace them with Uni filters. They are cheap and everyone seems to agree they perform much better and easier to tune with than the pleated K&N style. New intakes can be had for the BS34's. You can go with the original style or the metal aftermarket sets that are available from a variety of suppliers in the Shops forum.

Ty for your input Willis, looking at Rick's work in the shop thread is what has my attention. Carbs look amazing afterwards.

He must be looking for work. He's listing rebuilds for $185. I think i paid $225 for mine about 6 months ago. Personally I think its a no-brainer. Rick communicates very well and he will jet them for you based on what setup you are running. You may still need to tinker a little to dial it in, but you should be able to bolt them on and be pretty close to where you need to be. Good luck !

I don't think any builds aluminum intakes for stock carbs, they are for aftermarket round slide carbs.
On the clearance issue, with stock carbs and stock carb holders there is plenty of room.
On my 75 I have run several carb sets. I have run a set of linked 76/77 BS38, 80/81 BS34's and the Ninja EX500 carbs.
The 76/77 carb set ran strong. A bit rough in the transitions, The BS34's ran a bit smoother in the transitions but not quite as strong, They may have done better with a bit more tuning. The Ex500 carbs run as strong as the 76/77's and smoother than the BS34's.
Much easier to tune as well.
They fit right into the stock BS34 carb holders.
When I was running the BS28 carbs I had real K&N pods, I had an off idle flat spot that I spent weeks trying to tune out, got no where. Read about the UNI's, got a set, problem went away.
Leo

Back