Carb question... Idle scew...

nh-jk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I adjusted the idle screw on my carb, its the one that's on the clutch side. Is there an idle screw on each carb? Or did it adjust for both? Bikes idling at about 1.5 rpms.

Also how do you "sync carbs"?

Thanks

Go to the tech section . Everything you need to know about XS 650s and motorcycles in general can be found right there. If you take some time and read what has already been posted you will have a better idea about what questions to ask..

Last edited:
What carbs do you have?
Usually you have throttle stop which will control the idle and tht is usually found on the clutch side below the throttle arm where the cable ends. There are also two mixture screws - on for each carb, usually found on the top of the inlet into the carb rubbers, quite often they can be under caps or blanks. These alter the mixture that the carb lets through - screw in for lean, out for richer. The setting for these are often referred to in "turns" this refers to amount of turns out from the idle screw being fully turned in. Be careful as these are brass and are very easily damaged.
As for balancing your carbs. You can use the dead cylinder method, which involves pulling a plug on each side and getting the engine to run evenly on one cylinder. Alternatively you will require crb balancing gauges or a manometer, which can be made yourself.

For all of the above, if you use the search feature for key words such as manometer, or look in the tech section and you will find what I think is the best written carb guide ever!

I actually dont know what what carbs I have? I have a heritage special.. its a 1981or 1982... it has spoked wheels if that helps, the last two digits on the vin are 82... but it says it was manufactured on 9/81. I checked the thread about identifying your model, but was not 100% sure

the actual vin is: JYA 5V400 9 CA005982

then neck is stamped 5V4-005982

thanks for the info on the carbs!

If they are black body carbs with a handle bar choke they are original to the bike. They are BS34's with foam floats. the throttle shafts are linked so yes just one idle SPEED adjust screw. There are TWO idle mixture adjust screws, they are on the front top of each carb. They may still be covered by the factory plugs so that you don't mess with them. Unfortunately after 30 years the idle circuits are often "gunked up" and the plugs need to come out so the idle mixture jets can be removed during a thorough cleaning of the carbs. the factory setting should be determined and noted during the cleaning process.

Factory idle speed is about 1200 RPM it will idle slower than this once warm but it may not generate enough amps at the lower speed to keep the battery happy. if you have to adjust the screw very far it is likely that "some other problem" is messing with your idle speed.

Thanks for the info guys....

Yes, my bike does have the choke on the clutch side of the bars... its kinda hinky, the plastic housing has seen better days, I think the cable may have come off of its groove.. not sure though. I know the carbs are orignial, i guess it would not hurt to have XS pro check to see if their all synced up.. Have no clue if they are or how to even do it!

The carb guide can really save you some money in doing the stuff yourself. The aforementioned manometer is super cheap to make and super easy to use. I've never done any carb work whatsoever and was able to read the guides and completely go though and repair/adjust anything I needed to on my 1970 XS1's carbs!

Back