Carb Rebuild

I charge $50.00 a set, plus parts. If you have someone do it, make sure they know what they are doing. Don't have Bud, the local mower guy, do it.

That's the same i charge, which includes a dip in the ultrasonic cleaner. (actually, i charge $25 a carb, which is $50 a set for the xs - but i started making the distinction when i got tired of people trying to get their 4 carbs done for $50)

Don't mean to hijack, 1 quick question, when you guys are building where do you get parts not offered by mikes? I need one of those really thin nylon washers that go on the end of the butterfly post.

Don't mean to hijack, 1 quick question, when you guys are building where do you get parts not offered by mikes? I need one of those really thin nylon washers that go on the end of the butterfly post.

Are you talking about #48-5021 from Mikes?

Nope, the very thin nylon washer. There is 1 per carb on the shaft. I'm missing mine between that seal and the c clip. So my seal is fairly open to the elements, as the c clip doesn't provide much coverage. That thin washer goes in there

Well I was under the impression I was being charged $50, then it turned into $100. Work wasn't great and he didn't put both new sets of jets in it, or tune the needles properly. It's someone on this forum, but no one that has replied to this thread.

You can go to the classifieds and there is a buyer/seller feedback thread. If you are dissatisfied with the work, then I would post it so others don't get burned.

Kind of what I thought. The quote I got from a local shop was $299. Guess I will learn to do it myself, unless someone knows of anyone in the Mpls / St. Paul area that can do it reasonable .

Kind of what I thought. The quote I got from a local shop was $299. Guess I will learn to do it myself, unless someone knows of anyone in the Mpls / St. Paul area that can do it reasonable .

You should give it a shot at a rebuild. It only takes a phillips head and a 12mm box wrench for BS38s.

You'll probably need new diaphragms from JBM industries, fuel line, and obviously rebuild kits. Keep everything labeled and separated in individual baggies. Make sure you properly identify your carbs before you order parts.

If you stay organized and pace yourself, they're actually really straightforward.

Define rebuild. it can only be what two people agree to do.
Does it include remove the throttle shafts and new shaft seals?
What if something breaks or is found broken? Or thread gets buggered getting out a jet that a PO had trashed?
It's a can of worms.
By mail there won't be a final set up synch or "needle tuning" In person does the $50.00 include the on off the bike, New allen head bolts, polishing float bowls, carb bodies, manifold bolts, clamps, covers, new gaskets, new float valves, various O rings, diaphragms, Floats set by height gauge or filled with fuel and checked with clear tubes? Floats pin hole tested?
Have the cam chain and valves been set? What is compression. Which air boxes, air filters, exhaust, are the exhaust port gaskets good? Is the gas tank clean, fuel lines replaced, petcocks checked, new fuel line clamps. Hows the ignition? What altitude is the bike normally operated at. Lots of room for misunderstanding on what a carb "overhaul" includes or can do for a bike especially when done away from the bike. I have been mostly sticking to bikes in my possession on overhauls but outside work happens.

Last edited:
anyone in michigan wanna do a carb rebuild? lol i printed off the carb rebuild book thing and im going to try and see if i can do it, but if someone is close i'd rather pay and not F it up. then i can try it on some other ones i dont need to be perfect on another project

I did mine bs34s. Have never been into a carb before, took a couple nights after work, ordered my parts, assembled in another night. Down to the Last screw. They work great Now. Just try it!

i might take your word for it. hell, i did the ones on my katana a few years ago. never got the damn bike to get spark. but i bet the carbs were okay lol

My $50.00 is labor only, which is compete diassembly, cleaning, polishing, reassembly. Everything else is up to the owner, so the price will go up from there. I don't give estimates 'cuz you order the parts. You want it real nice, stainless hardware. Wanna save a buck, reuse the old screws. I rip them apart, tell the owner what they need and it's up to the owner how much they want to spend. Too much money to rebuild them 'cuz the float post is broke, I'll send them back.

Back