Carb support bracket for my pods.

johnnymac

1975 xs650b
Reaction score
I have a 1975 XS650B and am putting pods on it. I know that my carbs were somewhat supported by the air-box. The 1975 BS38s are also not linked so I made up this bracket that seems to work well for stabilizing everything. I used some metal joist hanging brackets I had laying around. Thanks for all the great info on this site-

Attachments

• support.jpg
    support.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 293
  • support2.jpg
    support2.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 320
FINALLY!! someone with a great way to support carbs! looks neat, and esay. good job.
I tried 1/8 flatbar looped around the down tuube. looked stupid. I havent had my carbs pop off yet, but after the engine gets hot, they sure wiggle alot in those boots.
excellent.

Thanks for the praise. I looked everywhere for a picture of something like this but couldn't find one. I read of people using L-brackets but couldn't envision it. Talk about low-tech some metal and a bench grinder. I hope this helps other people looking to do the same.

Great idea, great hack. Looks like USP AC5.-TZ, or Simpson L50 Z, found in the joist hanger aisle of your local home improvement center. Make sure to get triple zinc coated, or gold coat for best rust resistance.

That is so cool of an bracket for the unsupported carbs. Great idea and thanks for shareing it!

Johnnymac, the L-bracket system is used with the butterfly-shaped bridge on the tops of carb sets from 76 on, and links the bridge to a breather box bolt, as you have done. You came up with a workaround for the earlier carb sets, but hard-mounting the bracket to the motor as you've done isn't a good idea; there should be some vibration damping in the picture. I'd suggest that you cut off the motor end of your plate, leaving only the carb bridge, and run an L-bracket to the bridge from a single breather box bolt. Where the bracket meets the bridge, drill bracket and bridge big enough for a 6 mm. screw with a piece of rubber or vinyl fuel line around it, and use rubber washers at top and bottom and in between, avoiding any metal-to-metal contact. Use light torque (~6 ftlbs) and Loctite on the fasteners between bridge and bracket. Some flex is OK, you just don't want the carbies flopping around.

Thanks grizld1 I was wondering about that very thing. I will do exactly as you suggest; after all if it weren't for the carb guide, my bike would not be nearly as fun to ride. Thanks for the great suggestions.

Back