Carb Work

Paul II

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am working on a 1970 xs1 650's carbs, and I've run into a little problem. I can find the kits for em, but none have the diaphragm I need. Anyone know where to find that? I looked on partzilla, and they are "unavailable". Part number is 256-14916-19-00. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Be aware that rebuild kits often contain the wrong size jets and/or a generic needle that doesn't match. For jets, genuine replacements from Mikuni are best and for the needle, just re-use the original if possible. Honestly, rebuild kits aren't recommended because they so often contain the wrong parts.

Thanks for the information guys. My carb will need new gaskets for sure, but I can use a lot of what came with it. Another quick question, y'all know where to get paint work to match the original? The guy I bought it from spray painted it red years ago, and I couldn't get it off without taking all the paint off.

My carb will need new gaskets for sure, but I can use a lot of what came with it.

The 50 year old jets can and do wear out, look at this photo by @TwoManyXS1Bs showing the wear on his pilot jets compared to a new one.
5C65DE12-6354-49F9-A53A-FA9D208D1C66.jpeg

I found similar wear on my XS2 when I rebuilt the carbs on it. I also found mis matched jets that had been installed over the years and an incorrect choke plunger installed. A lot of careless work done over the years that had to be corrected.
And yeah…..avoid Marbles Motors regarding paint jobs. :mad:

Back