Carbon Monoxide monitor

fredintoon

Fred Hill, S'toon.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
CO monitor started discreetly chirping this morning; first time in my life I ever called 911.
Turned out the garage heater chimney was acting up and I now have new parts on order to fix the thing.
Got all manner of praise from the firefighters for "doing the right thing" by calling 911.
Thinking that if one monitor is good, more would be better, I bought 3 more of them and now there's a CO monitor on each floor of the house.
Setting them up I found a strange thing, the "alarm" signal is four modest chirps repeated every 5 seconds and the "low battery" signal is the same four chirps but every 30 seconds.
But the "anti-tampering" signal (when you pull the unit out of the power plug) is an 85dB continuous BEEEEP that'd wake the dead.
I mean, WTF, man? Four little barely audible chirps to tell me I'm being gassed to death and a noise like a Stuka siren to tell me I just pulled the thing out of it's power socket?
Somebody got their priorities wrong?

CO is some nasty stuff. Admiral Byrd describes being slowly poisoned by the fumes of his stove in a shack by himself near the south pole in the 30's. He chose instead to turn the damn thing off. Temps in the shack got to 30 below while temps outside got to 70 below. To say he was cold was an understatement, but he lived none the less.

This has me thinking, I wonder if my smoke detectors are dual purpose? I need to check on this.

Update,
called 911 again this morning as 2 of my new CO detectors started chirping.
Different fire crew but the same gas company guy.
This time they found the true culprit.
My garage heater was proven innocent, the guilty party was my welding set's newly replaced acetylene cylinder's shut-off valve which was slightly open even when it was reefed as hard shut as that little square key would turn it.
Damned cylinder dropped from it's 200psi full reading to 130psi from a single 5 minute burn and 3 days slowly oozing acetylene gas into the garage.
So back to Praxair goes!
No way the city or the gas company can bill them for 2 emergency calls but they surely owe me a free replacement acetylene tank.

That there CO has a 200-250 times greater affinity to hemoglobin than oxygen.
jefft

Build or buy a cabinet, and install it against an outside wall. Put all gas bottles in there and have a vent to the outside in case of any gas leaks

Never and i repeat ............never ............have any type of gas bottles kept in an enclosed space, even if the space seems large.

There was a old, (stupid), trick of putting a little acetylene gas into a balloon then tying it to the end of a disconnected spark plug lead. When the owner went to start the car, the noise of the gas blowing would make one shit them selves.

Imagine going into a garage with 1/2 a tank of gas in there and lighting up for that wonderful fulfilling puff on the old ciggy

I can remember when lots of welding/blacksmith shops used to make acetylene. Gas wasn't as much an issue as the explosion and fire. Please treat that stuff with respect. There is a whole lot of horse power in that bottle!

- - - Never and i repeat ............never ............have any type of gas bottles kept in an enclosed space, even if the space seems large. - - -

Hi Skull,
doubtless God was protecting the ignorant but I've had that oxy-acetylene rig for 25 years and it's always lived in my basement or in my garage with no problem.
Trust me, from now on it lives in the backyard shed with the garden tools.

Guy on a construction site got an acetylene burn, (bad), and the worst thing is water or cold wont stop the gas burn from penetrating further, need a special blanket to stop it.

Never forget his face.

I should post pictures off the fj cruiser. Guy from this city, left one in it over night. Got in it next morning, managed to start it back it out of the garage, didnt wanna leave the doors open to vent it. Hit the window down and kaboom! Luckily, he was outside of it. One ear drum sustained damage.

Posted via Mobile

FJ.jpg

Posted via Mobile

Back