Carbs, timing and other esoteric items of interest

Scott74

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here is my project...1974. I continue to struggle with carb issues from last year since doing what amounts to an amateur restoration...funny thing is, I enjoy this bike more than my triumph...go figure.

I realize the much criticized pwk carbs from mike are a bit of a sore spot with some, but they are what I have to work with at present. Would be interested to know what overall settings, jets etc others have used to make them work the best they can. At present I seem to have only one side working (other exhaust cold) and even bad carbs should work. Have checked the threads but can't seem to find any happy stories about them. Anyway guys, I will add some pics and welcome any thoughts...ps, the cable routing is a pita with the fuel shut offs located where they are.... image.jpg

Shortly after posting this I went out to check the sluggish beast...very surprised to find a bad plug. First time ever. Replaced the fancy iridium with a common copper bpr6 and bingo....now runs like a rocket....do I feel stupid! I guess it goes to the old saying, most carb issues are electrical :)

The correct plug for these is a 7, not a 6, and a normal type, not the resistor version. Also it should be the "BP" type with a projected tip .....

CorrectSparkPlugs.jpg

I bet you could switch your fuel lines (meaning, the left petcock feeding the right carb, and vise versa) to help with getting the fuel lines tucked in...if that's a concern. Also, it may help with keeping the fuel flowing downward as well?

Just an idea.

Back