Carburetor help

Mob

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I bought a 1980 xs650 special recently that has been sitting for many years, trying to disassemble the carburetor I broke the post that holds the float pin. Now not sure what to do now, do I try and repair the broken post with jb weld or something similar or can I buy just one carburetor that will link up with the other one or should I buy two new carburetors? I saw some carburetor kits on mikexs's website.

By the way, my existing carburetors are very gummed up and would have to be rebuilt regardless. Thanks for any advice.

JB Weld repair won’t hold long term. BTDT
The easiest solution is to replace the carburetor body. It’s a BS34. I think yours is peculiar to that year. You may install a pair from a later model without modifications.

Got access to a lathe?

100.jpg

104.jpg

Hey folks, I bought a 1980 xs650 special recently that has been sitting for many years, trying to disassemble the carburetor I broke the post that holds the float pin. Now not sure what to do now, do I try and repair the broken post with jb weld or something similar or can I buy just one carburetor that will link up with the other one or should I buy two new carburetors? I saw some carburetor kits on mikexs's website.

By the way, my existing carburetors are very gummed up and would have to be rebuilt regardless. Thanks for any advice.
Replacing one carb in a pair can be difficult to say the least unless you're a really experienced carb tuner. Repairing the float pin bosses is doable as @Jim has done but without some knowledge of machining/fabrication and access to a lathe/mill you're going to have to farm it out. Replacing both carbs is probably the easiest option. You have few different options, 1. find a set of BS34's on eBay. 2. buy a new set of VM34's (Hoos Racing is the best and the cheapest, and they come mostly pre-tuned) 3. Buy a set "PWK" type carbs from Mike's XS ( the XS stands for excessive prices). If you choose option 1 you my be in the same boat you're in now with carbs that will need a full rebuild, not a huge deal but something you will still have to deal with and some BS34 parts like slides & diaphragms can be difficult to get or expensive.

Welcome, Mob. Most BS series carburetors will need fresh throttle shaft seals, so separating the pair to swap in an undamaged carb isn't much of an extra step, most of the work has to be done anyway and there's nothing particularly demanding about the job. The only difference between 1980 and 81-83 BS series carb bodies is that the 1980 version was unpainted and later versions were black. If you want to know what to expect from the PWK knockoff carburetors, a quick search will take you to mrriggs' fine thread detailing the work and expense involved in making a pair of them work properly. A want ad in the Classifieds may turn up what you need. Specify left or right side. Click on the Tech button and follow a few links for a couple of ways to remove float pins without breaking posts.

Last edited:
As far as those PWK carbs go, I don't think Mrriggs ever did get them fully sorted and finally threw in the towel. And that's saying something because that guy can fix/make just about anything, lol. I'd stay away from those carbs.

Don't know if he posted the final step here, but in a phone chat Kop told me that Bret did finally get the Pukes dialed in just right. The final step was drilling transverse holes in the needle jet for better atomization.

Back