CDI/Ignitor Box Removal

geneborg

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have a '81 XS650 SP II and want to know if there is an easy way to remove the CDI from under the battery holder? I can get the screw from the right side out fairly easily but the left side is not very accessible. I am hoping to not have to move the entire battery holder with all it attachments??? If not can I not just plug in the new(er) box and try it out to see if this is the actual problem I am having with no spark. The CDIs appear to have no need to have a metal to metal attachment to the bike?
gene in FL

Hi gene,
not where I'd put any kind of electrical component.
What with road debris from below and battery acid fumes from above, not the optimum location, eh?
The bad news:- the battery carrier only comes out backwards after you've pulled the rear wheel so you can pull the rear fender.
The good news:- you can plug a test unit into the harness without having to do all that.

Just to clarify something, the XS650 never ever used a CDI, it used a TCI. Very big difference.
Leo

Hi gene,
of course Leo is correct.
an '80 and newer XS650's sparks are controlled by a Transistor Controlled Ignition module.
A Capacitor Discharge Ignition works in a different way and XS650s don't have them.
But never mind that magic box's proper name, it's still a dumb place to put it and you still gotta pull the battery carrier to swap it out.

I have removed them with a Loooonnggg phillips insert and a hand impact wrench from below. The inner rear fender is easy to remove and IIRC improves access also. Laying the bike over on some folded carpet or heavy cardboard with a 5 gallon bucket for the handlebar end to rest on helps. The TCI is mounted there because the battery box rubber suspension and heavy battery makes it the lowest vibration mounting point to be had on an XS650, solid mount the TCI to engine or frame and start the count down to the PC board'$ failure.

- - - The TCI is mounted there because the battery box rubber suspension and heavy battery makes it the lowest vibration mounting point to be had on an XS650, solid mount the TCI to engine or frame and start the count down to the PC board'$ failure.

Hi Gary,
that explains it!
I did wonder why they'd put an electrical component where it's subject to both street debris from below and battery fumes from above.
It didn't occur to me that that location is also a freebie low vibration zone that allowed Yamaha's penny-pinching design staff to save on the cost of separate rubber mounts for that component.
Sometimes you gotta admire those cheap bastards, eh?

If you look at the battery box, it has two cut outs on it. By turning the box on it's side then with some wiggling you get the cut outs on around the frame and it rolls up out.
You have to get everything off it first though.
Leo

Back