Center stand not quite fitting

RPC3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I got a center stand recently from one of the forum members, part came from a parts lot and no issues with anything there, but in trying to mount the stand it seems like it's just a little small for the mounts, so I wanted to see if anyone could help me confirm. The hight looks okay, but the length of the stand is missing from mounting flush by about a half to a quarter inch. Each individual bolt mount on the stand fits perfect, but I can only get one in at a time due to them being spaced a little too close together. Spring also looks like it'd be a stretch to make it from the two hook ends.

Measurement from outside bolt mount to outside bolt mount (top left to top right) is 10.5 inches. Interior space between bolt mounts Is 7.75 inches. Stand is 9 inches high, cross section starts about 6 inches off the ground.

Just want to make sure I've got the right part before assuming the mounting tabs in the frame need to be bent a bit to get this to fit.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20140719_102336.jpg
    20140719_102336.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 210
I got one from mikesxs. Had the same problem. Used a bfh to get it to fit. Worked fine. Had to force spring on. It' meant to be tight.

That may not be a 650 stand. Here's what a proper fitting one measures .....

I've never seen a 650 stand with the tang braced in that manner. Also, it's missing the little triangle shaped gusset between the cross tube and tang leg. Here's a later 650 stand with the added factory tang brace .....

82Stand1.jpg

If you do use that stand, I'd bend it, not the frame mounts. A real 650 stand won't fit any more if you bend the frame mounts.

I may have spoken too soon. That may be a '73 and older model stand. The frames were slightly different on them.

Ah go figure, thanks to all who responded. I'll get it back up for offer in the classified as free/cost for shipping.

Didn't bother to check to see if the center stand was universal for all years. Guess now I know..

Any easy distinguishers when looking for a stand off eBay? Spring universal all years?

According to the parts listings, the spring was always the same. I would look for a late stand with the braced tang as shown in my last pic. The tangs have a nasty habit of breaking off. I've repaired several already including my own. If you have a welder, you can always add your own tang brace. I do, so they won't break again, or in the first place .....

BracedStand.jpg

Another worthwhile addition is grease fittings on the pivots. The bike goes up on the stand a whole lot easier if it's greased .....

CenterstandGreaseNipples.jpg

When I put a replacement center stand on my '82 a couple years ago, I found that it was easier to put in one pivot bolt, hook both ends of spring into their tabs, then put in the other pivot bolt, rather than trying to stretch the spring enough after putting in both bolts.

When I put a replacement center stand on my '82 a couple years ago, I found that it was easier to put in one pivot bolt, hook both ends of spring into their tabs, then put in the other pivot bolt, rather than trying to stretch the spring enough after putting in both bolts.

Hi aldo,
yeah, if you are strong enough to stretch the centrestand spring into place you can simply pick up the entire bike instead, eh?
My technique is to put the spring on first, use a tapered drift to align one pivot hole, reef the stand into place to put in the other side's pivot bolt, then pull the drift to insert the second pivot bolt.
The XS650 centrestand got sturdier and sturdier over time as the tangs kept busting off, my '84 Heritage stand is greatly reenforced compared to earlier ones.
There's a page (perhaps in MikesXS catalog?) that identifies an XS650's year by how massively the centrestand tang is attached.

I got one from mikesxs. Had the same problem. Used a bfh to get it to fit. Worked fine.

Hey Jtrip, I'm having the same problem with Mikes centerstand, looking for a pointer.

what exactly did you use the bfh on? You just whale on the stand off the bike or did you whack it into place?

finagling this shit can be a quick way to negate a refund. Glad I found your post.

If I remember right it was just a matter of getting it to work. My Bfh was just a rubber mallet. Just wanted to use Bfh in a post...lol. Don't force it too much but a little persuasion won't hurt.

Hi all
I bought a stand I think from Mike's a while back and am looking at putting it on this holiday. Got the stand and the spring but no spacer bolts to fit. Any know the dimensions of the bolts or the part numbers?
Michael

The bolts are rather special, a long shouldered bolt. A normal bolt probably wouldn't last long as the stand pivots on it. You need that long shoulder .....

Unfortunately, a part number won't be much help. Yamaha doesn't sell it any more. But, most of the chopper/bobber guys don't use theirs so some nice used bolts should be readily available.

Hi all
I bought a stand I think from Mike's a while back and am looking at putting it on this holiday. Got the stand and the spring but no spacer bolts to fit. Any know the dimensions of the bolts or the part numbers?
Michael

Hi Michael,
the good news:- MikesXS sells a nicely upgraded centerstand pivot bolt, stainless steel, drilled for a grease nipple, c/w grease nipple & a locknut.
The bad news:- Cdn$19.95 each and you'll need two of them.

Yes, those bolts from Mike's sure are nice, but soooo expensive. As shown a couple posts up, I just add the grease fittings to the stand pivot tubes, probably costs less than a dollar. I can't stress this enough - greased pivots make putting the bike up on the centerstand so, so much easier. I wouldn't own a 650 without doing this to it.

Hi 5twins,
Agreed, those stainless shoulder bolts are not cheap for sure.
Although the "less than a dollar" is only true if you already have a metric tap & die set and you bought your stash of grease nipples at least a decade ago.
Still and all, a person should have a metric tap & die set anyway and a stash of grease nipples will most likely cost even more in the future.
Hopefully someone with an extra pair of stock centerstand pivot bolts will offer them for sale.
BTW, XS750/850/1100s and quite likely most of the Yamahas ever made use that same pivot bolt.

The fittings are still cheap .....

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Grease-Fitting-5PU21

The metric taps, not so much, lol. But you're right, I bought a nice set years ago. That was after struggling with a HF type for a couple years, what junk that was, lol. I don't usually do so, but I loaned an M6 tap to a buddy a year or so back. He was only going through thin metal, basically just chasing threads already there on a muffler baffle. I figured it was safe. He broke it, lol. He replaced it with one from the hardware store and I was shocked to see the price sticker on it, nearly $10. When I ran across these recently, I bought several just to have spares .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391157024367?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I also sprung for the actual metric drill bits you're supposed to use with an M6 tap (5mm) .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390898839331?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Back