Chain drive adjustment frequency?

realgone

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how often does a guy need to adjust the tension on his drive chain?
I checked mine about two weeks ago and it had lots of play in it.
I adjusted it to approx 3/4" of deflection.
I hit the highway and about 500kms later it was loose again. I adjusted it again, with someone sitting on it, to 3/4".
Another 500 highway kms later it was loose again, and I adjusted it again.
Is this normal, or do I have a problem here?

Basically, you adjust it whenever it needs it. The quality of the chain you're running will play a big part in the maintenance intervals. A good quality chain lube will also help ease the wear. I recommend Kal Gard Chain Kote, hard to find but about the best stuff I've ever used.

Get it on the stand and watch the slack as you turn the wheel, the chain does not "stretch" evenly it will have loose and tight spots. +1 cheap or unlubed chain or running worn out sprockets can stretch it that fast. Good O-ring chain can go thousands of KMs between adjustments.

How you abuse it plays a BIG part of it. Are you a wheelie fan?
You like down gearing to the point of sliding the tire? Too much slack at this point and you run the risk of bending the push rod.
Just saying some folks get 50 mpg while others get 30.
Like 5twins said the quaility varies and like Gary said maintenance counts if you don't abuse it.

Example- I got 16,000 miles service out of my stock O-ring D.I.D. Chain on my SV650 with 30W oil for lube, every 350-400 miles. I got 11,000 miles out of it's OEM replacement using rattle can lube. I have 24,000 miles on an EK X-ring chain right now with 30W motor oil for lube. New steel sprockets front and rear with every chain.

Non O-ring chain will not last nearly as long and will require frequent adjutment. I typically have to adjust a sealed chain about every 1200-1500 miles, depending on summer or "not hot" We only really have 2 seasons down here!

I'm just finishing up the 7th season on my $20 J.C.Whitney heavy duty chain. I've got about 10K on it and it's about half stretched out. Wonderful chain for the money in my opinion. XSJohn used to be a fan of these as well. From what I've read, a high quality regular chain can last nearly as long as an o-ring one (with proper care of course). Also from what I've read, the D.I.D. standard chain is one of the best regular chains out there, very well made with tight tolerances between the plates. I have one on the shelf for replacing my "Whitney Special" when the time comes. Cost was about twice that of the Whitney one but still less than an o-ring chain.

You can't lube a chain too often for it's health, IMO. You can slime the bike pretty good like that, but it won't hurt the chain. Frequent cleaning and lubing should extend your adjustment interval, and your service life, regardless of sealed or standard chain. 5Twins has multiple bikes, and lots of experience. I am going to try the lube he reccomends on my next new chain set, which will probably be another X-ring.

They make 2 versions of that Chain Kote, one with black moly in it that stains the chain rollers black and a clear version for o-ring/x-ring (and I suppose colored) chains. I use the black moly version, which is also safe for o-ring chains. I like it because you can see the rollers start to turn silver again as it wears off and you know it's time to re-apply.

Also, it's much better to lube the drive chain after the ride. The chain is warm, tolerances are loose and the lube penetrates better.
When I'm doing yearly maintenance on my bikes , I remove the chain, it goes into a pan with kerosene and gets scrubbed with a tooth brush. Kerosene is the cleaner of choice because it does not attack "o" rings. I wipe it dry, then start the lube process. My yearly chain lube is complicated but very effective. I fill a crock pot 1/3 full with 90 wt gear lub.
I place the chain in the crock, with the heat on the lowest setting. I let the whole thing warm up. Several years ago I modified the lid of the pot to except a vacuum barb. When the gear lub and chain are warm, I connect my vacuum pump to the lid a pull a vacuum on the pot. What this does is draw all the air out of the internal parts of the chain and the lub flows in. Resulting in a fully lubed chain ready for thousands of miles of use. As I said, complicated but very effective

I bought a used crock pot at a yard sale years ago (in fact I've bought a couple of them, $4 or $5 at the most). Easy to set up in the shop and you can just leave the lube there until needed again.

Married? Yes, almost 41 years.

I've only been married (inverse numbers!) 14, but I know a big 'ol screw up (usually) when I'm about to make one!

The crock in the shop makes a bit more sense! Does anyone really enjoy the smell of hot 90W?

I've never sniffed a crock pot full of that but in general grease, oil, gas, creosote etc. are good smells to me. A little gas on fresh leather? Oh yeah. If that doesn't smell good to someone I'd say they don't have the motorcycle gene!

I prefer 80/140 synthetic with a touch of PB blaster in my "aroma machine"
This chain just came off a bike I started working on. You know I often get a bike "fired up" and run it around the country block to see how it runs before I start a serious "going over" makes me kind of rethink that.... Look closely.

chain.JPG

This went on the lift for the first time today.

tx650.JPG

My painter REALLY wants to see this at the slimy crud run October 8th.

70green.JPG

Still waiting for the stripe to go on the tank.

The 70 needs a LOT of work so I think the TX may wear the paint that day. We will see how many notice the faux pas.

You hear the chain clattering across the top of the swing arm on decel. Just had an SV650 with a badly worn chain, you could feel it surge as the worst stretched spots ran over the sprockets.

Back