Chain Question

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Chain and sprockets on my FJ are coming up on 11,000 miles. I happened to ride it a couple of miles with no ear plugs in and the chain noise was VERY noticeable.

Took the countersprocket cover off and did a good inspection. Front sprocket shows definite signs of wear. Rear sprocket shows no signs whatever. Chain was a little dry. Decision needs to be made on what all needs to be replaced.

Option 1: Lube chain, replace nothing, wait until riding season is over.
Option 2: Replace front sprocket, lube chain, ride.
Option 3: Be a good little boy and replace chain and sprockets as a set ($200-ish...ouch...)

Contemplating replacing the chain led me to a question: The stock 525 chain is a riveted master link type. Most of the replacement chains I see recommended are as well. Is there a particular reason they don't use the old face-plate-and-clip type links any more? If I were to guess, I'd suspect it was horsepower related. The FJ chain is handling roughly 3 times the power my XS chain had to deal with.

If I must (should) go with a riveted master link, what's the best tool for staking the rivets?

Take hold of the back of the chain on the sprocket, and pull the chain away from the sprocket, if you can get it more than about half a tooth away from the sprocket, the chain need to be replaced. If the chain and rear sprocket are ok, just change the front sprocket and lube it.
Riveted chains were introduced when the bikes got more horsepower. Safer, clips went awol sometimes.
I got the 16 buck tool. It's not really hardened steel, but for now I've done 1 camchain (XS850) and 2 drivechains (XS650 and SV650S) with it without any problems.
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/chain-rivet-tool

I think I got the ripp off from the original (see attachement)

Attachments

• Riveting and Chainbreaker tool.pdf
    270.1 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Yes, even though it's a cheap knock-off, these work pretty well. The riveting pin may get all beat up after a while but a better replacement can be bought from Motion Pro .....

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0062

Mine got all beat up from loaning it to a ham-fisted kid down the street. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise though because the Motion Pro replacement I got works much better. The tip is shaped better.

Yes, even though it's a cheap knock-off, these work pretty well. The riveting pin may get all beat up after a while but a better replacement can be bought from Motion Pro .....

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0062

Mine got all beat up from loaning it to a ham-fisted kid down the street. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise though because the Motion Pro replacement I got works much better. The tip is shaped better.
(Heh! Yeah I meant knock-off, got lost in translation :))
Great tip, thnx!

Thanks for all the input.

I did the "pull the chain" check and it looks good, barely moves. Lubed it and adjusted a little of the slack out of it and all is well.

I'll run it until it's time to park it for the winter and then do a new chain and sprocket just because.

Back