chain slack?

smiles79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all,

My 75 xs650 has pods, vm34s, and a brand new pamco (not that any of that pertains to this question really), how much slack should I have in my chain? How do I measure it effectively?

Also, what do you fellas use for chain lube?

Thanks!

I run around 5/8" of slack. Measured as full up and down play on the bottom run with the bike on the side stand. I use 20W50 for chain lube. All them nice neat spray waxy things are snake oil. Have not seen one yet that will actually penetrate and keep the links free. I've been commuting 70 miles a day (riding days) since 1999 on chain driven bikes, and motor oil might be messy, but it works far better than anything I've ever ran across in a rattle can.

My chain lube of choice is Kal-Gard Chain Kote, difficult to find but worth the effort .....

http://www.kalgard.com/product/482/chain-kote

I've tried many different brands over the years and I found this to be the best. It has black moly in it and stains the rollers a dark gray. When they start to lighten up, you know it's time to re-apply. The absolute worst stuff I ever tried was that chain wax shit. It truly is just that - shit. All it does is coat the outside of the chain, doesn't penetrate or lube any of the moving parts. Absolutely no good for a regular chain, maybe OK for o-ring types but I wouldn't even use it on them.

An important step when adjusting your chain is to check the tension while sitting on the bike. When you put your weight on it, the shocks compress a bit, the swingarm rises, and the chain gets tighter. Your perfect setting with no load on the machine will be too tight once you're on it. Also, chains usually stretch unevenly, creating tight spots. Roll the bike ahead and back, and check the tension in several places. Do your adjustment at a tight spot.

I use PJ1 "Black Label" chain lube. It's messy but does a good job. I got over 20k miles out of my last non-o-ring chain.

Back