....changed my sump filter.....lets play "guess this mystery piece of metal"....

aaronrkelly

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Bought this bike about 2 months ago. Oil was clean so I just rode it.....got about 1K miles on it so I ordered the stuff to do the oil change. New sump filter and gasket from Mikes along with his "upgraded" paper filter setup.

So I drop the sump and this is what I see stuck to the magnet.

20121230_193135.jpg

20121230_193141.jpg

20121230_193149.jpg

20121230_193156.jpg

20121230_193223.jpg

20121230_193229.jpg

20121230_193303.jpg

Bike runs fine.....goes thru all the gears.....but Im guessing that just not a "spare" piece of metal :D

Any idea what it is/was?

And a side question.....in regards to plastic from the timing chain guide.....how much plastic in your filter is to much? I found a small amount......

20121230_193117.jpg

20121230_193108.jpg

20121230_193052.jpg

I'm guessing its an engagement dog from one of the transmission gears.

That seems like a small amount of plastic in the filter. I'd say keep riding and monitor for more plastic at the next oil change.

yep.....Id say your right....looks like part of this right here.

05-0857.jpg

How on Gods green earth is this thing still hauling my fat ass around. Thats a pretty significant chunk of metal.

5th gear dog...see here

I would not be too worried about the plastic in your filter - your going to have the gearbox pulled soon enough, you can change cam chain guides then...

It looks like it is not just the dog but a piece of the gear as well, so could have been replaced by the PO and the dog has just been rattling around in the engine.

The PITA is there is only one way to know for sure. Pull the engine, split the cases, look and see.
On the black flecks on the filter they could be rubber from the shock rings in the starter gears. Do they feel like hard rubber or hard plastic? If they feel like rubber there isn't much need to worry about that. The gear dog would worry me more.
Leo
Leo

It looks like it is not just the dog but a piece of the gear as well, so could have been replaced by the PO and the dog has just been rattling around in the engine.

That would be great.

It seems most people report trouble staying in gear as the symptom that is caused by this.

Im 330lbs and 6ft4in.......and while I dont hammer the bike thru the gears......I get on it pretty good......and that 650 is definitely working to move me around (hell Im equal to riding 2 up all the time). It has never once popped out of gear or even had trouble going into gear.

.........but

Now that I think about it there IS a symptom that I had brushed aside previously.

Its pretty infrequent and obscure but in almost 1K miles I have had a "noise" happen about 4 or 5 times. It sounds just like a the chain does on my dual sport when its loose and smacks against the chain guard........like a rapping noise or vibration. It only happens IN 5th gear.......and only when decelerating at lower RPMS........like if your putting at 50mph. Even so......you cant make it do it......it only does it when it wants to.

As the bike is hardtailed and a vibrating mofo to start with.......I didnt even register the sound as a concern........but I think that it MAY be attributed to that metal chunk since it has done it only in 5th gear.

I broke a fifth gear dog off a long time ago. I've been meaning for a very long time to replace that gear wheel. I just haven't done it. The bike has been going along just fine like that for more years than I'll admit. There's no tellin' when it will give up.

You may not have to fully disassemble the engine to check. Can you borrow a borescope? Those things have gotten pretty cheap, Harbor Freight has them for around $100, or the better one for around $200. CAUTION: if you buy the HF version be sure to buy the extended warranty! They seem to be hit or miss on initial quality, you either get a good one or you get a turd.

Take the sump off, lay the bike on its side and start peekin'.

The cool thing, is you can swap transmissions out easy. Flip the engine upside down, split the cases, and done. No need to tear down the top end... I've done it a few times, it can be done in a morning if you know what to look for when splitting the cases...

Here is what I found when my mechanic pulled it apart.

With any luck its going back together today - just wanted to confirm everyone was right.

20130108_172253.jpg

20130108_172258.jpg

That is EXACTLY what the piece of metal I found. Almost shaped the same. Weird. I'm glad you posted this pic. I can't figure out how to. Thanks everybody for the help on figuring out what it is. Now what to do about it......

I would recommend that you replace the bad gear. If the broken piece had gotten into the gears and locked the transmission at the wrong time. :yikes: It could cost you more than the price of a new gear. Not worth risking your life for my opinion. :thumbsup:

Back