Cheap, cloth covered spark plug wires

Detale

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Posted this on CC so I figure I'd post it here too. I came across Tom's engine barn before and I can't believe how cheap the spark plug wires are. Everywhere else they are going to $25 for 2-4' he's got em for $1.10 a foot! Way cheaper than anywhere else I have found. I ordered a couple feet and connectors just now so we'll see how the quality is.

Anyone used/heard of Tom's before?

Also you have to search for 7mm wire it doesn't show up on the main page. What gauge would that be?

Never heard of that shop specifically, but beware of the cloth wrapped wires. Can be really cheaply made and I haven't found a set yet that was good for electronic ignitions. I have fried many cloth wires when converting to 12v from 6v in cars. Different I know, but just be careful.

I rode my friends with "new" cloth covered wires. They arced quite nicely into my legs. The wires in the cloth were crappy at best. Especially with these bikes, the Pamco and TCI need a good set of caps and wires.

Posted this on CC so I figure I'd post it here too. I came across Tom's engine barn before and I can't believe how cheap the spark plug wires are. Everywhere else they are going to $25 for 2-4' he's got em for $1.10 a foot! Way cheaper than anywhere else I have found. I ordered a couple feet and connectors just now so we'll see how the quality is.

Also you have to search for 7mm wire it doesn't show up on the main page. What gauge would that be?

7mm refers to the insulation diameter, (.275") and is unrelated to the wire gauge.
Perhaps the manufacturer notes the wire size in their product description.

Last edited:

Hey Detale, did You ever tried them wires out in the end?

Mine have the cloth "look" but are 7MM copper core. Got them on ebay for cheap.
No issues so far.
2115F89E-1465-4CE9-9B9D-2A29E368C97D_zps96p8rw8u.jpg

What matters most is the insulation between the cloth and the wire, silicone would be best. Next is the metallic core, the newer alloys do not tarnish and corrode on the ends like copper does.

Scott

Mine have the cloth "look" but are 7MM copper core. Got them on ebay for cheap.

No issues so far.

2115F89E-1465-4CE9-9B9D-2A29E368C97D_zps96p8rw8u.jpg

Just one follow up, I'm about 99% sure that's the coil that comes with the Pamco kit. Can you confirm you are running those plug wires with a Pamco?

Does anyone know of cloth covering that you can slide over your modern yellow wires?

Does anyone know of cloth covering that you can slide over your modern yellow wires?
What I used on the visible wiring on my built was - shoe laces. You can get them in almost any colour and they are dirt cheap. You cut it, run a piece of some kind of slippery rod through it to widen it up and feed the cables through. The only down side of it is - fire resistance, but it surely looks great... Had no problems with it yet. I did not put it onto the spark plug leads yet, but I will.

Back