Cheap XS Battery?

SpoogeMCMM

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i am in need of a cheap battery for my 78 xs650. anyone know where i can get one thats still decient but on a tight budget? i was looking at some at interstate batterys and they have some for around 40$ but they have weak cca. is that going to matter since im going to have kickstart only? and i have read about eliminating the battery for kickstart only bikes and seen a few things about having a really small battery as well. what are my options and stuff for things like that? BigJimmy, your running a batteryless XS arent you?

I don't have a pma all stock, and I run an alarm panel battery. My project isn't 100% complete yet but I think it'll do the trick. 12v 7ah battery. Can get them for like $25 prob less. Kick only though as they don't have much cranking power

eBay.. I dunno I work for an alarm company lol. Try electronics stores or something, they are cheap as hell though, sealed too.

The only thing I havnt tested is over charging. Maybe I'll find a way to limit the current if it ends up being a problem. But I've run it a bit and it doesn't get warm and hasn't killed it. So he'll ya I think it's a great cheap small replacement.

Same one I use. It's a scooter, alarm system, electric gate battery. Works fine. You can go smaller with the 12v .8ah camcorder battery, like 650central sells. The one above lasts longer, thus the 7ah compared to the .8, which will only last about 6 minutes. I have no problem with it over charging.

now if i did find a cheap starter and decide to hook it up later would this battery do for the occasional start? or would i be better off with a normal batt...? just weighing my options right now lol. also (i know i annoy with the ?s) but how do you hook that battery up? just the slide in connectors?

Exactly, and that answers my question as well. If you want a more square battery for ease of hiding it, you can get a 5 or 5.5ah(amp hour) alarm battery as well bit smaller but it's square and prob about 1/3 the size of the stock battery. Pretty sweet!

you guys are awesome, thanks again. i think im going to order that battery you linked me to right now! sweetness!

:edit: i dont know... now i look at the shipping and its another 14$, so i wonder if i should just drive to interstate batterys and get the 34$ one... damn

The alarm battery you mite be able to use electric start on a nice day. Cold start or busting it out of the garage for first ride in the spring, forget it.

Having a pma would help in the case of a smaller battery but keeping electric start.. Personally, keep it kick only :p way cooler

Back