Cheapest Place To Get A Hardtail Done?

First off, I would recommend getting a bike and learning to ride before you shoot off building a death trap that resembles some un-ridable show horse.

I have found PLENTY of information by using the little search feature in the upper right corner of your screen. There is also a tech section and topics that discuss pretty much everything you have asked.

If you are trying to build a cheap bike, do that. There's no reason in the world to run a 180 on the back of a XS650 (unless you have plenty of money and a strong engine). Run a normal wheel or something you an install with the tools you have available. Meet local bike guys and join local forums. Having a broad network of friends will help you get things done cheap (and hopefully they will tell you when you dreams should become fairy tails).

I'm a newb too. But I realize that I can't just jump into building beauties without A.)
lots of money, or B.) Lots of time and research.

We are not the first people asking any of the questions we come up with. Even the dumbest shit you have ever conceived. SEARCHING will prove that. Good luck on the low buck build.

I typed "dumb shit" in the search box and got 18 results. :)

Renting a welder and doing it yourself would qualify as "dumb shit" unless you already know how to weld ( I assume OP doesn't), in which case you would probably own a welder.

Read here for a while and get a better idea of what you want. You really can get some answers here, but think about what you really want and you'll have better questions.

John

First off if its a drag bike WHY HARDTAIL IT extend you swingarm make some struts and you can put it as low as you want. HARDTAIL AND DRAG BIKE are two different animals. 4" hard Tail is buying you NOTHING for a drag bike. DRAG BIKE you want to go straight and not lift and run down the track as fast as you can. 180 tire JACKSHAFT are you building a top fuel bike???? If you want to build a XS650 drag bike 2" from the ground put 6" in the stock arm lower front end drag bars 40 or 41 tooth rear sprocket 18" rear wheel and go have some fun. Take off all the weight you can. A lot of NHRA tracks will not pass a hard tail welded up on a frame if it looks like its done in your back yard.Seen many makeshift frames break and people crash in the 30 years of me drag racing .
DO it right NOT CHEAP!!!!

Ok.... I guess it was you ProjectXS650 that started the thread about the 180 tire. I responded to your other thread "misc questions". I agree with DaddyGcycles, if this is gonna be a drag bike, then you should probably have someone who really knows their chit about frame geometery, welding, etc etc. Especially if you want it to pass pre-race inspection and be safe otherwise.
We all have visions of what we would like to do with our bikes or other projects, but sometimes what we would like to do and what is actually functional are 2 different things.

Back