Check out what ya'll helped me build!

luckynumber0

In Over His Head
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Been a member for a while now. I started wrenching about two years ago and this is my first proper build.

I drove out to Modesto, CA from Los Angeles to pick up this 1982 XS650 from a father and son who had given up the bike for dead. They couldn't get spark so they started tearing it apart. It was a completely stock XS650SJ with all the pretty badges missing. And it was mostly in boxes. When they went to check the points and found them missing, they put it up on craigslist as a "fixer - upper" for $700. Of course, they just said they didn't have the time to work on it so they were selling it. When I got home and popped off the points cover and found them gone my heart sank! It wasn't until I registered with this forum that I found out about the CDI unit, which was blown. I replaced it and it started up for the first time! From then on I read as much as I could on here, went through everything on the bike, asked a thousand questions, until I got to where I am now. I wanted to thank everyone on here for all the wisdom and for putting up with my dumb questions.

So here's where I'm at so far:
The bike!
kjIWhMy.jpg

New everything! The tank looked all ratty so I just stripped it. I'm letting it rust a little bit before I clearcoat it.

CB350 speedo with "custom" mount (Custom meaning a shitty angle ground piece of metal). On/off switch because I always forget my keys. There is a secret kill switch mounted under the right side cover to ward off joyriders. Going to delete the stock ignition mount tomorrow. And uh...Ignore the yellow electric tape. It's the speedo light wire and yes, I know it looks crappy.
lgswz0m.png

I made the seat. The pan is from a road sign that *somebody* knocked over with their truck by accident. The padding is from a yoga mat, and the vinyl is from a couch I found on the side of the road. Seat mounts are sourced from here, and I recommend them to anyone making their own seat who want a simple and clean looking mount. The dude who sells them is a really nice guy. I know the 1980+ XS crowd are always looking for simple seat ideas and I'm happy to answer any questions about that!
SEZ1EZG.png

dax1fo4.png

3R63kQU.png

I got the fork brace from Gordon Scott. Big ups.
xyEqgEW.png

My sassy vintage license plate holder I got at a junkyard. It says "do it on a bike...if you can!"
zm1Uu9a.png

I've still got a lot to do! I'm saving up for a PMA and Pamco system so I can ditch some of the chunkier electronics. Eventually, I want to be able to see through the bike under the seat. It's a ways off, but I know yall will help me when I hit every wall between here and there!

looks like fun. Must have been a real ugly couch!!
If you keep your ignition switch there, it also is a fork lock. You don't have to wire it up to nothing, just have the key. That way, joyriders will be all like"ah, no keys= no joy"
Nothing wrong with the stock ign box., but when it goes, it will be cheaper to replace with a pamco.
Im running the black box on my chop, runs fine. Running stock charging system too, again, runs fine.

Hey, Lucky! Tell us how you solved your cracked neutral detent boss and clutch disengagement issue...

I ended up double checking the integrity of the detent and spring, screwed the 'cap' on to the remaining threads - which compressed the spring and detent as if nothing was damaged at all - then building up JB weld around it until it held fast. Did some sanding down to make it look nice and then painted it to match the cover!

Adjustments are still being made as I ride further and further distances, subject the bike to the hot torture of slow moving LA traffic, and freeway cruising. It seems like every time I hop off the bike after a ride, I'm adjusting the clutch a hair in one direction or the other. As all of you know, it's a labor of love :) Happy to say though that the adjustments are becoming more and more minute each time, which must mean I'm close!

@CDNTX650 - My thoughts exactly! I just bought some spare headers from another forum member here in SoCal and I figured I'd get some wild mufflers to slap on them.

@Angus67 - Good to hear from another black boxer! I'll ride mine until it poops out I guess.

Looking good! I have an 81 with stock ignition, and after replacing the rotor after only my second ride on it, it runs and charges just fine. Im currently trying to button up a cafe conversion on it, ran into a little trouble with the sump filter gasket so waiting on a new one lol. Keep us posted and if you have any questions on hiding and moving the wiring hit me up, I just did with mine, didnt have to chop, cut or extend anything on it, and the only thing you see under the seat are the solenoid and a little bit of my custom made battery box.

Back