Checking parts availabilty for other old bikes..wow the KZ

Mharrington

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ive done up my XS650 for myself and thinking about a KZ750 twin for my daughter. I like to look at Bikebandit.com. I am AMAZED at all the parts still available for the Kaw KZ750 twin. All metal, plastic,rubber, you can think of. Not only are tanks and side covers available- but already painted in factory colors! Exhausts, seats it goes on and on. Yes its expensive but my god- for my XS1100 there are only bolts and brakepads available. Id love to have the option of brand new parts for my old yamahas. At the same site even the mighty Suzuki GS series does not have parts availabilty like the KZ twin. Amazing.

Considering that they weren't the most popular bikes ever sold, this is impressive. Maybe they bought up all of Kawasaki's stock for that model, since I can't see Kawi keeping so much stuff on their shelves when it surely can't be very fast moving stock. Just for a laugh I did a search for 900 Seca parts and was sadly disappointed to see far fewer parts on offer. Maybe Yamaha stocks more stuff itself for that model, but I doubt it somehow.

The 650 twin yamaha was in production longer than the KZ750 kawasaki and outsold it but the OEM parts selection does not reflect that. When I fixed up my brothers 79 GS1000 Suzuki one plastic side cover was cracked and brittle as glass. I assumed I had to buy a used one. Clowns on ebay wanting $50-$90 a piece for 30 year old covers. On a whim I looked at bike bandit and got a new suzuki cover for $88. Weeks later I saw babbittsonline had the same 1000E covers for $70 ea. BRAND NEW PARTS FOR A 1970S CYCLE IS A NICE OPTION TO HAVE!

AFAIK Once the (generally 20 years) parts support time frame has passed, the manufacturers sell their parts inventory off in big lots, with some consideration to the bidders ability to inventory and sell the parts. I actually looked into a major maker's obsolete parts inventory one time but it was an unbelievably big amount of material, Beyond my capability to deal with.

I dragged home a crap KZ750 once and stole the rear wheel, dumped off the rest of it. Compared to the XS it was a big ugly hunk of engine. I think there was a reason it was a dud in the market..... That rear wheel a spoke, disk brake, chain 18" rim unit is kind of heavy too.

I just finished the restoration of a 900 Kaw and was amazed with the availability of parts. Kawasaki themselves have very little for the bike but the aftermarket with reproduction parts is amazing. You can literally buy any part you need. From painted body sets with new tank and covers to a complete reproduction exhaust, it's all available. Now the hard part. it ain't cheap! But it is awful nice to know you can get it.

Attachments

• KZ900A 048-1.jpg
    KZ900A 048-1.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 138
The XS650 twin is my favorite of the twins. The motor looks nostalgic and better than all other japanese twins- plus it out runs all the other (four cycle) twins. I like 2 cylinder bikes as projects because its sooooo much easier and less expensive than a 4 cyl. Plus the lumpy throaty sound and low end torque is neat. My next project bike will most likely be a KZ twin. Ill use a fiberglass tracker or cafe seat and white letter tires (providing the tires are avail for those diameter rims). Heres my 1980 special. 1975 tank and side covers. Gopherglass tracker seat and sportster mufflers.

100_0675.jpg

Very nice. Do the older side covers fit right on there or did you have to weld on tabs? And what holds the bottom in? I don't see the original twist lock button.

AFAIK Once the (generally 20 years) parts support time frame has passed the manufacturers sell their parts inventory off in big lots, with some consideration to the bidders ability to inventory and sell the parts. I actually looking into a major makers obsolete parts inventory one time but it was an unbelievably big amount of material, Beyond my capability to deal with.

I dragged home a crap KZ750 one time and stole the rear wheel, dumped off the rest of it. Compared to the XS it was a big ugly hunk of engine. I think there was a reason it was a dud in the market.....

Honda has hinted that they are about to stop parts support for bikes as new as the early 90's, so what you say rings true. Shame, as it would be nice to restore an NS400 if I could find one.

Very nice. Do the older side covers fit right on there or did you have to weld on tabs? And what holds the bottom in? I don't see the original twist lock button.

The pic was taken before I added a small threaded retaining knob on the bottom. The 1975 covers fit on the 1980 model. The front of the cover position ends up further forward in relation to the rubber boot that joins airbox to the carb inlets- but its unnoticable and does not effect function in any way.

Yamasarus thats a nice kawasaki you restored. Right now I think the 70s japanese bikes are the best. The 1970s is where 1/4 times was the measuring stick and a new king was crowned every year or even half year.

Back