Chewing through oil...

Chicken_Feet

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hay team,
Almost time to get the bike on the road again. Last season I noticed that I was topping up the oil a lot. I was burning through a liter every couple of hundred k's. Other than some slight weeping underneath, there was no sign of a substantial oil leak, and im not blowing any smoke.

Where is my oil going?
She is a 79 standard with 7k miles on it.

Thanks
Mat

Hay team,
Almost time to get the bike on the road again. Last season I noticed that I was topping up the oil a lot. I was burning through a liter every couple of hundred k's. Other than some slight weeping underneath, there was no sign of a substantial oil leak, and im not blowing any smoke.
Where is my oil going?
She is a 79 standard with 7k miles on it.
Thanks
Mat

Hi Mat,
most likely your oil is going out of your exhaust system even if you can't see it smoking.
The "usual suspect" for mysterious oil loss is over-filling.
Try ignoring the dipstick at your next oil change and pour in no more than the recommended 2 liters of 20W50

Seems like it takes more oil burning than that to show up as smoke. Could be the 7k is fake, or could be it was a real bad 7k.... Could be swapped motor too. There's a remote possibility head re-torque will help. Or people have just lived with the oil consumption. If you want to try a re-ring and valve stem seal replacement, it's easy and cheap. Costs less than the oil you'll be burning.,

There is a very good chance that the head gasket is passing oil from the camchain tunnel into the cylinders. Use a paper towel to wipe the inside of the exhaust pipes.......................does it pick up black? Time for a top end re-build. The 7K means nothing.................its very easy to swap a speedometer.
Even if the 7K is real, its bad for engines to just sit around for many rears. Rubber seals deteriorate with time.

Last edited:
Hi Mat,
most likely your oil is going out of your exhaust system even if you can't see it smoking.
The "usual suspect" for mysterious oil loss is over-filling.
Try ignoring the dipstick at your next oil change and pour in no more than the recommended 2 liters of 20W50

When you guys measure your oil with the dipstick, do you screw in or just sit it in as far as it will go without screwing?

Back