Chinese Electronics "How Can They Do That"

halfmile

XS Builder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Too cold to even look at the garage today so I spent it in front of the computer ordering stuff to complete the scrambler project. I usually search U.S. sellers only but today I searched all. I ran across this ridiculous little LED 3 digit volt meter for $.99 with free delivery. I do not need this at all but for $.99 I ordered it just to see if they really can source the materials, manufacture it, pay labor, package, and ship to Kansas from Hong Kong for under a buck? I also saw a left side handlebar switch for $6.00, free shipping from Hong Kong and the same part with the same part # advertised as U.S. seller for $19.97 with free shipping. "How Can They Do That"?? Even if the parts are junk, and they usually are, they still have to go through the motions, Right??
s-l64.jpg
s-l64.jpg
:shrug:

Attachments

• s-l64.jpg
    s-l64.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
I've ordered a lot of bike components (mostly electrical - fuse blocks, bullet connectors, etc.) online from Hong Kong and the Chinese mainland and paid next to nothing for the product and $0 for the shipping. I could find the same product at local auto shops for many times the price. To me the bigger question is Why pay middlemen (middlepeople) to handle the product from China to my local store when I can get the same thing online from a factory or factory direct supplier for a lot less money?

Last edited:
How do they do it? They are probably not making anywhere near a living wage, have no health care, work 12 hours a day, have all their young children doing the packaging, and working 365 days a year.

Similarly, it has been exposed that Chinese factory workers making Apple Iphones were committing suicide due to miserable working conditions that resembled slave labor.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...pple-iphone-brian-merchant-one-device-extract

Bummer...... Sorry...:(

Careful, halfmile. Those "loss leaders" are supposed to sucker you into their store.

And, I sucker easily.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/inexpensive-voltmeter-monitor-voltage-while-riding.27151/

Watch out for the 2-wire model, it doesn't have "reverse polarity" protection (Post #20 in the above thread). Maybe they're obsolete, discontinued, overstock, residual stock, and are simply being *dumped* on the market?

Not uncommon for electronics gadgetry...

Last edited:
I bought a cheap voltmeter for the bike direct from China. It survived the ignition being turned on 2 times!!! I bought a different model for a similar price and it has survived 1000 miles. I converted my AC MIG to DC using a cheap Chinese bridge rectifier and this is still working 2 years later. I try to avoid buying electronics form China now but often buy bits of hardware e.g. crimp connectors, washers, fuses .....

I have not researched this, but I believe we have some sort of bilateral agreement with China. Once our stuff get to their shore, it ships across China for free. Once their stuff reaches our shore, it ships across the US for free. If I make motorcycle widgets in Florida, I pay $35 to ship one to Texas. The same product from China ships for free once it's on our shore. Add to that, nobody in China wants my widgets.

I would guess that if anyone got a widget in China they would try and sell it. When I traveled in India for work I sometimes took pity on the poor. They always asked me to buy a can of baby milk powder for them and would even take me to the vendor to buy from. I later found out that they ask for this because they can easily resell it to make money, probably selling back to the same vendor I bought it from.

Careful, halfmile. Those "loss leaders" are supposed to sucker you into their store

2M is right about being suckered into their store. I started out looking at volt meters and 2 hrs later I was still in their store site looking at triple trees and neat rear sets for motorcycles I don`t even own!

One thing that used to be common, probably still is, was the Chinese manufacturer was also the parts manufacturer, so often they could sell the gizmo more cheaply than you could buy the parts (from them of course) to make it...

Don't buy the chrome switch gear, it is garish to the extreme! At least the black ones do not hit you in the eye.
Also, there is no wiring diagram with it so you have to trace all the wires to match it to your application.

I bought one of those switches that said has High-low beam but there was only 1 wire from the selector to the headlight? I guess you could always get off and re wire it as needed.:laugh:

There's also the exchange rate to consider. I haven't checked recently but it was around 6.3 to 1. So one US dollar gets them 6.3 Chinese Yuan.
I was in China 2 years ago and a Snickers bar was 1 Yuan at the local 7/11.

Back