Choke & Idle

spb1

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a 79 XS650 as a project and 2 weeks into it finally got it running (glad I found this site!!). Anyway, I'm not really understanding the choke on the BS38s
Hopefully my picture attaches, but it shows when I manually push the choke lever up, my idle slows way down like the choke is off. If i let go of it the lever it snaps down and the idle dramatically increases. Also, with the choke lever in this position I have to practically back out the idle screw (also shown in my pic) most all the way. It seems I'm missing something?? Anyone, any thoughts?

Attachments

• carb choke up.jpg
    carb choke up.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 751
Choke lever missing or not really doesn't matter here. What you need to know, and what your bike seems to be doing (perfectly normal response), is that this bike won't run long unaided (without throttle blips) with the choke on. Yes, you need the choke for a cold start, usually even in warm weather, but not for long. Within 10 or 20 seconds, the bike will start "8 stroking" (running really rough) and most likely stall. You have to turn the choke off when the motor indicates this rougher running. It still probably won't run (idle) on it's own without the throttle cracked a hair. That's also quite normal for an old carburated bike. This isn't a new bike with fuel injection and electronic controls. There is no computer controlling all this stuff. You are the computer, lol.

Mike's does sells the lever, which will hold the choke in place, however the metal used for it is cheap and bends super easy. If you can find an OE lever, it would be way better.

5twins start sequence is identical to mine. Once the choke is turned off, the motor will stall unless you give it some throttle.

I like to start mine, then get my jacket, helmet and gloves on. I had been giving the idle screw about a 1/4 turn and have to leave it there when I first start out. It was then hard for me to turn it down accurately, when moving, once it was warmed up.

I thought it would be nice to have a small knurled wheel around the 5mm screw head but then thought about an easier way for me who doesn't own a lathe. I have some 1/8" thick AL and made a little paddle/thumb handle. I filed both sides of the middle down and cleaned the screw head up well with a small file and lacquer thinner. I used the regular PB weld epoxy binding the paddle into the screw head slot, let it set about fifteen minutes, applied some masking tape and then assembled it. I had to keep flipping it over since the epoxy is runny but I was reading a book at the time and just flipped it every few minutes for an hour or so, then in a vise and flipped it every ten minutes or so until it setup.

It works real well for me now!

Attachments

• DSCN4737.jpg
    DSCN4737.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCN4738.jpg
    DSCN4738.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 331
Yeah, I had thought about some tube caps but not valve stems but I liked the idea of being able to index the position easily by feel. From the paddle position, I know how far up or down I am from normal idle.

I like the "paddle" fitting mod; thanks, Glenn, now I got something to do today. The weather here in the Syracuse area iznt conducive to riding, tho I've been out 5 times this season on balmy days.

Yesterday:

Attachments

• SNOW.2012 017.jpg
    SNOW.2012 017.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 286
I bought that $15 lever on EBay today ( my '77 was missing it) , but the seller has "many" and will list them as soon as one sells...
Good deal.

Looks like that kit comes with everything. Theres a wierd spacer washer thing that the oblong hole slides along that would be hard to find. Now that you have yours, i may pick up the next kit.

Back