Choke Linkage worn ??

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I noticed when starting the bike 77D from cold that I have to hold the choke down firmly
to get the bike to start and go to a high idle.If I just push the choke down all the way and let go,the plungers wont
lift all the way and its harder to start and warm up properly. I assume the chokes on the 77
are a single stage unit so its either on or off. I noticed the choke rod that slides thru each carb is sloppy
fit, lots off play.Would that be the problem. Thx for any guidance to rectify this.

547E2887-54A2-40CB-878B-00D4A60F97C3.jpeg
I just installed a set of ‘77 carbs on my bike. The choke lever has a protrusion that engages in a recess / indentation of a piece of spring steel. When released, the choke should stay in that position. I did find that if you push the lever past that indentation, the choke plunger will lift higher and the effect of the choke is enhanced. Once you release the lever, it falls back into the indentation. If the bores where the choke rod runs, are not worn, maybe tightening the screws on the little lift levers will take out some of the play. Those screws have pointed ends that tighten into dimples in the rod. If the points are worn off or the dimples have become enlarged, the whole assembly may feel sloppy.

Last edited:
The choke lever has a protrusion that engages in a recess / indentation of a piece of spring steel.

That spring steel was my thought as well. Either missing or not enough tension to hold the choke lever in position.

F6134E20-706C-49E2-B84A-C7989E33EED9.jpeg

MM, is that a stock idle adjustment screw? I was just looking into making something like that.

No it is off of a TX750, there were a bunch of them on EBay a couple years ago and a few of us snuffled them up! :D

The spring steel piece is inplace and works ,holds the choke open and u need to release the lever to close choke.
Problem is when choke opened it does not allow enough fuel to get the bike to high idle.It will run at approx 1500 rpms tops or
lower and sometime stall unless I hold the choke lever down with force to open ,pulling up on the plungers more. I need to figure out a way to have the plungers pulled up
all the way on cold start.The screws on the choke shaft have the pointed tips and are properly positioned in the recessed hole and tight.
If there were no recess I guess I could adjust them on the rod to do what I want. if I hold the small fork on top of the choke plunger
there's approx 1/8" free play vertically. Has anyone drilled out the choke rod ports and added a
bushing to tighten things up?

The spring steel piece is inplace and works ,holds the choke open and u need to release the lever to close choke.
Problem is when choke opened it does not allow enough fuel to get the bike to high idle.It will run at approx 1500 rpms tops or
lower and sometime stall unless I hold the choke lever down with force to open ,pulling up on the plungers more. I need to figure out a way to have the plungers pulled up
all the way on cold start.The screws on the choke shaft have the pointed tips and are properly positioned in the recessed hole and tight.
If there were no recess I guess I could adjust them on the rod to do what I want. if I hold the small fork on top of the choke plunger
there's approx 1/8" free play vertically.
That’s the way my bike starts and runs. Fortunately for me it runs at that 1500 rpm speed nicely and I actually have to flip the choke off in about 1 minute max or it runs too rich. Free play same as mine.

There is a small amount of rotation or "play" in that retention bracket if you loosen the screw that holds it in place. Rotating it to the left will raise the right end where the lever locks on and hold the choke open more. If that doesn't do the trick, you may need to bend the right side up a little more.

Sorry 5T, retention bracket? Is that the part that has a fork end and attaches to top choke plunger to raise and lower it?
Im having a hard time visualizing what your describing.

Hey Bosco,im located Muskoka South ,5 minutes north off Severn Bridge just of Hwy 11.
its would be great to hookup with some xs650 riders!

The sheet metal bracket circled in Mailman's post #3. Loosen the Phillips mounting screw and the bracket will rotate slightly on that little peg below it. Rotate it to the left so you raise the right side up more.

I had the same issue with a '76-'77 carb set I was using. The choke locked on but not fully open, and that made cold starts more difficult. A little adjusting fixed it right up. And as a matter of fact, just yesterday I was replacing the screws on my '78 carb set with some stainless button head Allens and I encountered a similar issue. When I tightened the new screw, the choke lever wouldn't even stay locked "on". The bracket wasn't rotated to the left at all, it was fully to the right.

Last edited:
Tried adjusting my spring clip and achieved too high of a cold idle so I backed it back the right fr a 1500 rpm cold idle. Starts ok here. Thx

Back