Circumnavigate the Continental United States

I did something very similar when I got out of the military. Had two months of leave saved, so I drove all over the US. Went though 43 states. Stayed with friends who also got out, or on the bases. Did it in about 50 days. You won't regret it. Well, It's better to regret something you have done then something you haven't. I did this in a 72 El Camino though.:thumbsup:

I remember every camping site in detail that I have ever stayed at. And I started motorcycle camping in 1971. I can't say that about the motels and hotels I have used over the years. Don't be in a hurry. 650s weren't made to hurry. And enjoy the ride.
There are plenty of campsites on the east coast. I would expect to pay between $15 and $25 a night. If you come up through the mountains of Ga, Tn, NC, and Va, there are motorcycle only campgrounds. I am sure they exist everywhere. Just search. Do this. I wanted to do this when I got out of the military way back when, but marriage got in the way. In am planning on doing this within the next 12 months. I am 61 and now it's on my bucket list.......don't wait that long.

Gol dern it...I'm not going to have the money. Not for nine thousand miles at least. Estimating gas at four dollars a gallon, I'm guessing nine thousand miles would cost over seven hundred dollars. Food and camping, anywhere between ten and thirty dollars a day. If I go fast and do it in a month, that's $1300 dollars. I figure better to take it slow and do a smaller route, maybe the west coast with my brother. If I end up with more time in the summer I can do a run for the east coast then. Thanks for the encouragement; if I can't do the whole thing, I will do something!

2 more cents, good plan, less distance, more hiking, meeting people, slow riding on back roads. Slab miles are all the same anyway. It's about getting out (of the race, rut) not just spinning the odo.

I think it will be a great trip. Keep giving a little love to the xs and buy the best riding jacket you can aford. Some good pants will also be nice if you are in the cold and rain of Canada.:bike:
Cheers:thumbsup:

Back