Compression puzzle

The good news: in the XS2, Yamaha changed to cylinder no. 306-11311-01-00, which is the same cylinder that was used in later 447 motors. Late tensioner assemblies will swap right in. IMHO it's a good idea to do that anyway.
Good info!!

Got a little done today. Worked on spare motor, cam cover off and ready to split and replace chain. I measured the distance from the end of the cam adjuster to the nut on this engine. 11mm. This chain has not stretched as much as the can in my original engine.
Below are pics of the rockers from this engine. Anyone see a problem. They feel fine. Hope to have the engine back in the bike tomorrow.
upload_2021-5-27_17-8-31.png
upload_2021-5-27_17-9-45.png

Question??
I have 2 new cam chains. One from Mikes the other NOS Yamaha. Which might be better the one made this century or the one made in the last century? I'm leaning towards the newer made one.

Question??
I have 2 new cam chains. One from Mikes the other NOS Yamaha. Which might be better the one made this century or the one made in the last century? I'm leaning towards the newer made one.
Any brand marks on 'em?

Below are pics of the rockers from this engine. Anyone see a problem. They feel fine.
Hard to give an opinion based on pics. I like to see more shine than that and no indent across the middle.... ideally anyway... You're the one looking at 'em Greg. Use your gut.

Any brand marks on 'em?
Mikes has no marks that I can see. They say it's a Tsubaki which I believe is a good brand. They could be making them to a lesser spec for Mikes.
upload_2021-5-27_18-48-5.png

Yamaha chain has a mark I'm not familiar with.
upload_2021-5-27_18-55-53.png

Hard to get a clear pic I'll try again.

The Tsubaki chain is more durable than DID. Measure the pins on the master link and compare to your OE chain and you'll see why. Don't know what that "Yamaha" chain is. Should be DID, but unless I'm missing something it doesn't appear to have DID markings.

Edit: Maybe that shape stamped on the plates is a DID mark?

The Tsubaki chain is more durable than DID. Measure the pins on the master link and compare to your OE chain and you'll see why. Don't know what that "Yamaha" chain is. Should be DID, but unless I'm missing something it doesn't appear to have DID markings.
Thank you!

Back