(Clean) Case mod for adding cooler/filter

pago cruiser

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Have found several versions of tacking hose connections onto the case cover, like this:

2017-01-14_11-37-14.jpg
']
2017-01-14_11-37-14.jpg
[/URL]

Hoses%20in%20case%20side.jpg
']
Hoses%20in%20case%20side.jpg
[/URL]

Functional, but rather crude.

But I can find no details of this one:

2017-01-14_11-00-34.jpg

This was on an odd site, here:
http://www.geocities.ws/fischervintagecycle/XS650Page.html

But I can find nothing on Fischer Vintage Cycle. I would guess some detailed mods of the case cover had to be done to make this so clean?

In the last pic it looks as though they opened both ports and installed fittings in each one.
From looking at my cases that wont work very well.
Those to holes come from the cross drilling to get oil from the pump to the filter. They can't drill around corners so they drill holes that cross each other. Then they plug the holes so oil flows up from the pump around the corner where the hole cross, then to the filter chamber.
To open both holes and install fittings would not allow oil to flow out one hose and back in the other.
Open one hole and plug the return hole so oil has to flow out is the only way to get oil out, then you have to build another return. the easiest way is to drill holes in the oil filter cover. I did this but not as in the pics you have. I drilled the hole in the cover on the edge not the side. I then cut a slot in the side cover so the brass pipe could come out and hook the return line up.
I'll post pics of how it is set up. In this pic you can see the oil out at the lower right side. The oil return comes back through the brass pipe that sticks out of the filter cover and fits in the slot cut in the side cover.
This keeps the side clear.
There is another way that you drill a hole from the top side of the side cover down into the oil filter chamber. You need good aluminum welding skills for this. Once the hole is drilled you insert an alloy tube into the hole and weld it where it meets the filter chamber and on the outside of the side cover. You then put enough weld around the tube so you can thread the tube to install a fitting,
I don't weld that well so I did it the way I did.
If you search this site you may find more info on the weld in option. There was a very good web site much like this on, XS650Rider. A lot of us came from there. That owner of that site sold out to this site and some where there on this site you can access that site. The pics of the weld in return may be in those records.
When I did my conversion I did it in such a way that the stock side cover oil filter can still be used. With the oil flowing out of the case before the filter chamber as I did you can plumb in an external oil filter and/or an oil cooler.
I also built a spin on oil filter that replaces the stock sump filter. I decided that even with very short filters it stuck down more than I was comfortable with.
I have this cover off the bike right now because I tried a new set if Mike's 1.5 inch head pipes. These new pipes were bent different than the stock pipes and don't have clearance for the oil output fitting. I took the Mike's headers off and built a set that provided the clearance I needed. I just haven't got the adapted side cover back on yet.
Leo

Attachments

• Oil Cooler 001 (640x480).jpg
    Oil Cooler 001 (640x480).jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 189
I found another pic of the side cover and oil cooler all hooked up and propped up next to bike. You can see how I adapted the side cover better in this pic.
Leo

Attachments

• Oil Cooler 003 (640x480).jpg
    Oil Cooler 003 (640x480).jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 640
Thanks gents. Excellent info.
XSLeo - would you have any pics of your inside-the-case mods?
Or of this method?
There is another way that you drill a hole from the top side of the side cover down into the oil filter chamber.
I really like doing this whilst maintaining the stock side oil filter cover. Seems a aesthetic crime to booger it up.
I did find some other pics, but they were thumbnails, which could not be looked at in any detail.

Good point about clearance with the headpipes. I've been looking at switching from the 82 Special pipes (based upon the hula hoop, but which also provides lots of clearance to the frame member) to something akin to a 76-77 version, that more parallels the frame tubes.

Not to hijack my own thread... but I really like 5Twins exhaust; tight to the frame, and upswept to allow for easy axle removal:

5Twins%20commando%20mufflers.jpg
']
5Twins%20commando%20mufflers.jpg
[/URL]

He had indicated in another thread these were MAC headpipes with MikesXS mufflers.

Here was another similar version from Twins Inn, but rather pricey. Wish they had a pic from the other side.

Twins%20Inn%20upswept%20Commando%20exhaust%202.jpg
']
Twins%20Inn%20upswept%20Commando%20exhaust%202.jpg
[/URL]

Guess I should get the exhaust figured out B4 the case taps for oil filter/cooler.:rolleyes:

Getting ready to do another oil cooler myself and remembered this diagram about blocking off the oil passage. I`ll just use a stock oil filter cover this time. The one pictured didn`t look like much of a cooler and still uses the original oil filter.

oil cooler 001.JPG oil cooler 002.JPG oil cooler 007.JPG
cooler5.jpg

Sexy looking cooler!
Good looking hoses as well.
Do you think the "top" hose will work coming out of the top of the side cover, as opposed to the further-outboard ribbed side cover mounted cooler?

Are you adding an external filter as well?

Please note, the drawing is wrong on the cooler hose placement. The picture of the actual cooler is correct. The hoses should go into the top of the cooler so oil doesn't drain out and lead to oil starvation at start.

Tom

Back