Cleaning Carbs - won't start

corbshere

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled off the left hand carb off my stock 1972 XS2 650 I've owned this Bike since '74.
I found no contamination in the bowl that has the brass floats. I expected alot of "varish" or contamiants as the bike has been stored for about 7 years since I last ran it. I removed and repaired/replaced the electric motor starter and had the tank flushed and sealed. Put all new gas in and cranked it for several times.figured I had dirty carbs,...apparently not, I did not check the other carb yet. Maybe its not a fuel problem. I am not sure how I determine #1...Fuel flow...#2...Spark confirmation . As you can see I am willing to get dirty but I have a real lack of what prcedures are taken when trying to get a bike fired up after a prolonged storage period ! can any body get me on track here...I could really use some pointers here. (I also pulled the plugs and cleaned them they were new when bike was put away)
Thanks For Any Help Guys
Pat

A lot more to cleaning carbs than the float bowl Actually the float bowl is the most insignificant part. Lots of tiny orifices to clean. Not to solicite business, but I've done a zillion carbs for some folks here as well as other.

Corb, an engine needs a few things to run. Fuel, Air, Spark and Compression.
To check if fuel is getting to the carbs, with the petcock off, remove the drain plugs on the bottom of the float bowls, now turn the petcocks on. Fuel should run out the bottom of the carbs.
To check for spark, pull a plug and with it plugged into the plug wire hold it against the engine and try starting the engine while watching the plug to see if it sparks.
To check for air pull out the air filters and see if they are plugged up with dirt.
Compression needs special tools. At this point you don't really need to check. but you can buy or borrow a gauge and check it.
Also read the carb guide. It can be found at www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
Leo

Back