Cleaning Carbs

4stroke

4stroke
Reaction score
now that i have my engine looking all pretty i need to now find a way to dress up the carbs i understand painting them isnt a good idea! does anyone have any suggestions??

Paint is not a good idea. A total disassembly, then soda blasting the bodies, polishing the caps and bowls.
If you haven't yet, read the carb guides http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43
Or you can send them off to Rick at Oldskoolcarbs (http://oldskoolcarbs.com
SANY0357-Copy_zpsbd2eee5e.jpg

Why isn't paining a good idea?
Leo
Well, I suppose if you know what your doing (clean prep and mask properly) and you use a good paint that is resistant to gas, its fine. I've even seen carbs powdercoated.

Mybe I should rephrase that. It's not a good idea FOR ME.

The '82 & '83 Heritage Special came from the factory with black carburetors. I have a Suzuki with black carburetors as well. If you want to do a proper job, it may require complete disassembly. As you have been advised, not doing a proper job could lead you to difficulty.

When soda blasting, is that only on the out side or also down where the slide sits and in the float bowls and all? Or should I mask every hole and put the bowl and top back on before blasting?

I have removed all things from the carb.

One of the good things about soda blasting is that the soda disolves in water. It also is soft. It removes the crud without hurting the base metal.
So blast away. Any soda left in the carb will wash right out with water.
Leo

i just did a soda blast on my 34's. I had grabbed a set of xs750 carb tops, polished them up, went to pull my carbs out, but apperantly, when I rewired my chop, I ran a bundle of wires between the sync screw, and the fuel tee, making removal impossible.
So, with carbs flopping about in the frame, I put the new to me polished carb tops on, reinstalled the carbs, put my unifoams back on, and soda blasted from every angle i could, hosed it off, and when for a ride to dry. Started funny from water in the foam filters, but quickly dried out. no harm done blasting with carbs on the bike, carbs are now clean, and raw alum.
Looks good to me.
I would post pictures of before and after, but my cell phone dosnt show the affect very well.

Last edited:
Back