Cleaning engine

gdj

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a xs1 that Im restoring and need to strip/clean assembled engine. Someone painted the jug black and am looking for ideas on how to strip it w/o tearing it down.Engine is out.Thanks

If its engine paint and its on there good, your gonna have a hell of a time getting it off without pulling the cylinder off the bike. Aircraft epoxy stripper will remove just about anything but I wouldn't apply it to an assembled motor.

If its engine paint and its on there good, your gonna have a hell of a time getting it off without pulling the cylinder off the bike. Aircraft epoxy stripper will remove just about anything but I wouldn't apply it to an assembled motor.
Yes I agree.

I have a xs1 that Im restoring and need to strip/clean assembled engine. Someone painted the jug black and am looking for ideas on how to strip it w/o tearing it down.Engine is out.Thanks

Hi gdj,
No way you can strip the paint off the jug with the engine assembled.
What you can do real easy is to leave the jug black and polish the edges of it's fins.
My '84 Heritage Special's engine came all blacked out with just the head & jug fins edges polished.
I reckon it was done that way to show that the head & jug were aluminum, not cast iron.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies but I would disagree that in order to strip paint off the fins of an engine you must disassemble.I will post when I'm finished stripping the paint and tell all how its done. Thanks again

Back